Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Why is P3D v3 so dark?

I've installed P3D v3 yesterday and my first impression was how dark everything looks. I haven't changed my TV settings which were fine for FSX.

I do have HDR enabled on the Lighting and switching it off does make things brighter externally but overall it still seems very dark. Are there other settings that can cure this?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've installed P3D v3 yesterday and my first impression was how dark everything looks. I haven't changed my TV settings which were fine for FSX.

I do have HDR enabled on the Lighting and switching it off does make things brighter externally but overall it still seems very dark. Are there other settings that can cure this?

Look here for an excellent application that radically improves the default graphics of P3D, it's called PTA (I suggest reading the instructions carefully, before using):

http://1coder.ru/PTA/

Enjoy, Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

3 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Look here for an excellent application that radically improves the default graphics of P3D, it's called PTA (I suggest reading the instructions carefully, before using):

http://1coder.ru/PTA/

Enjoy, Cheers, Ed

Thanks Ed but before I read that is this something you found too? I have increased the brightness of my TV and once I've finished installing FS Global Ultimate (several hours) I will see how it looks then.

Does HDR require a compatible display? Like 4K TVs having HDR? My Sony 32" HD TV doesn't have HDR.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

Does HDR require a compatible display? Like 4K TVs having HDR? My Sony 32" HD TV doesn't have HDR

I don't think so, but I'm far for being an expert about monitors/HDR. I had an old HP 2511 monitor and I've always used P3D with HDR on, without noticing any issue at all. I'd recommend asking to the experts but in the meantime I suggest you to use your P3D with HDR ON.

When you're done try PTA, it will absolutely enhance everything related to graphics in P3D, including skies, water, vegetation, shadows, to name only a few. PTA has also an option for those who want to try different settings for HDR. It also has a support section in these forums.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Thanks Ed. I'll definitely take a look when I've finished installing about a thousand products! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, try also turning up saturation in lighting settings.

Mario Di Lauro

PTA works for many folks, and although I gave it a spin and did like some of the results I got, I also noticed a hit in VAS. I decided at the end to just remove it completely, and restored my originally shaders, Stopped trying to over tweak P3D, and kept it as default as possible. No more problems for me in performance and look.

Make your adjustments within P3d using the lighting settings, Ray. They are more than adequate to do what you wish. After that, you can try PTA to enhance what you see  - sort of like fine tuning.  But get your base visuals set up first or you could be chasing your tail.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

8 minutes ago, tamsini said:

Ray, try also turning up saturation in lighting settings.

I'll try it but isn't that the amount of colour? That's my understanding of it. The LM manual seems to confirm it. But let me try again once I've finished installing some software. I've increased the brighness and that may solve it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Make your adjustments within P3d using the lighting settings, Ray. They are more than adequate to do what you wish. After that, you can try PTA to enhance what you see  - sort of like fine tuning.  But get your base visuals set up first or you could be chasing your tail.

Vic

Thanks Vic, sensible advice. But first I need to make sure my TV has reasonable contrast, brightness and colour settings. Funny, they were fine in FSX but checking a gray scale the brightness was definitely too low.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The sim itself is more than capable of being bright  although the way things get darker with lower visibilities seems not quite right to me.  Your sky and cloud choices will matter as well.

I've found that its best to lower bloom a little and then increase saturation and brightness to get the look you want because brightness tends to remove the color.  The sim needs some bloom though.  Its just too flat without it.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Thanks Dave. No-one else has mentioned how dark it appears with default settings so it sounds like my TV settings are wrong.

I look forward to tweaking things once I have the time. Only 999 downloads to install now. :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

48 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Dave. No-one else has mentioned how dark it appears with default settings so it sounds like my TV settings are wrong.

I look forward to tweaking things once I have the time. Only 999 downloads to install now. :biggrin:

Calibrate your TV-Monitor. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

P3D can look a bit dull and dark out of the box, and one of the main culprits for things looking dark is the HDR adaption, which tries to mimic an iris, stopping down when looking up, and opening when looking down. So you can go from too dark, to too bright depending where you look; for this reason I use PTA and disable adaption, and then tune the settings to achieve a good balance between the two. This is combined with using the in-build HDR brightness/Saturation/bloom sliders, which will make a huge difference.