Sign in to follow this  
killairbus

747-400D questions

Does the domestic model simply have a lower take off weight? I can still load 300,000Ibs of fuel into the tanks which seems insane for a 400D and the only thing stopping me is that I'll be overweight? Is this how it's supposed to be modeled? 

-Angelo Busato

Edited by killairbus
Forgot last name

It is not uncommon for airlines to 'write down' MTOWs as ATC and landing charges are usually based on the certified MTOW. This it stands to reason that if you are employing an aircraft exclusively on shorter routes where you don't need the extra weight (ie fuel) you simply put an artificially low MTOW on the certification to save some cash.

That said, in any event it is quite normal for all aircraft types that it is impossible to take off with a full load of  both fuel and passengers, and indeed in many cases one may have to be almost empty to brim the tanks.

One thing to consider is that the Boeing 747-400D could be turned into a standard Boeing 747-400 if need be. It would take some modification to the wings, of course, but I think ANA had done it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.