Sign in to follow this  
Hardy6

Windows 10

Installed new SSD drive. The only drive in desk top pc.. Installed w10. Selected custom not update when I installed it. No antivirus installed, turned off windows fire wall. I get a error message, something interrupted this proses. The down load gets almost done and just stops. It's the same w10 disk down load I did on previse  SSD, which I ran out of space installing pay ware planes and scenery.  I have two evo 840 250 gig SSD drives, un plugged. I'm now, by it's self, using Samsun 850 pro 512gig SSD. Thanks Stanford.

• Upvote 1

Try using something like IDM Internet Download Manager, which has the ability to restart interrupted downloads.  The interruption could be your browser (using edge or chrome?  I prefer Firefox), or your ISP internet service provider.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

May I ask this question regarding Window 10 and updates.  If I use my computer for Flight Sim ONLY, should I disable Window Updates?  I have everything working perfectly and I hear the windows updates can corrupt some stuff in P3D or FSX.  Is that True or False?

• Upvote 1

Paul Gugliotta

I have not had an update in Win10 in the past 18 mos that I even noticed.  I use P3D, FSX.  Updates are ON.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm with Dan. I've used a utility program to disable W10 updates after the Anniversary Update and things have been terrific.  I hate surprised that wreck my flight sims and associated software.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm with Dan. I've used a utility program to disable W10 updates after the Anniversary Update and things have been terrific.  I hate surprised that wreck my flight sims and associated software.

Ditto here too. I will not let Microsoft Updates screw my Win10.

What is the best way to disable Win 10 updates?

Paul Gugliotta

Thank you Dan Downs. I'll work on that. FSX-SE installed ok and carenados  plane went in ok. I use Bing as my browser. I live in a gated community and have ask to be move to a higher level in the server. They did, but I think it changed.

12 hours ago, paulyg123 said:

May I ask this question regarding Window 10 and updates.  If I use my computer for Flight Sim ONLY, should I disable Window Updates?  I have everything working perfectly and I hear the windows updates can corrupt some stuff in P3D or FSX.  Is that True or False?

After windows force restarted my computer during my installation of Prepar3D, and then did it again a week later which destroyed the copy of P3D that I finally managed to get working), I permanently killed windows updates.  I contacted Microsoft support and they reluctantly emailed me instructions after a strongly worded phone call. I was told to enter the registry and turn off windows updates from there. (Of course, you can always update windows when you want to at the time that suits you when you are not doing something important but I'll die before I update windows or if windows forces another update on me…) Best thing I have e ver done for my computer. I'm pretty sure that you can google how to do that as well though but I'll search my emails to try find the instructions. Just pm me and I'll tell you how to do this provided I can source them. 

I also use a program called SpyBot AntiBeacon which prevents Microsoft from farming data from my computer. 

Edited by Guest

By now I'm sure there are a number of ways to disable Windows 10 updates.  I'm using a free utility that came out about a year ago called Windows Update Disabler available at THIS WEBSITE.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.