Sign in to follow this  
BlueStar

"jpg" Files - Nvidia Guide

Kyle or Tabs,

Any chance of getting the .jpg files fixed on the first page of the Nvidia Configuration Guide? 

Or is it my computer? :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Or is it my computer?

It's not your computer. If been that way for a couple of months now. I believe it is caused by all the updates to the Avsim forums.

11 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Or is it my computer? :smile:

Your computer/firewall.

Kyle Rodgers

29 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Your computer/firewall.

Kyle, Can you explain that a little more please how to resolve? 

Geoff Bryce

5 minutes ago, por930 said:

Kyle, Can you explain that a little more please how to resolve? 

The jpg images are a linked resource from a different site. So, even if you can get to AVSIM, you may not be able to see the images because they exist at a different address, which may be blocked by your computer/firewall. This is usually the case if you have a 3rd party (non-Windows) Anti-virus/firewall, as they tend to be overly aggressive, or are on a corporate/school/university/etc. network (where their firewalls are usually pretty locked down).

What happens is you access the page, which loads from AVSIM's servers. The images are a standard embedded HTML reference (through BBCode - a way to protect people from malicious people writing malicious code into their posts), where AVSIM's servers redirect your request over to the location of the images to get them. The image is stored in a temp location on your computer, and is shown on the webpage as if it were hosted on AVSIM directly. If your connection to that other location (where the images are hosted) is blocked, then the images will not load. It's entirely a 'local' (the OP's computer; as opposed to 'remote' or 'server') thing, as evidenced by other people being able to load the post and images without issues.

If everyone were having issues with seeing the images, then it would likely be a hosting (remote/server) issue. In other words, wherever the images are hosted may be down. This is not the case here, but it's another possibility if the symptoms were to fit.

Resolving the local issue depends entirely on your local setup. If you have 3rd party AV/firewall, you'd need to add the hosting location to the "safe list" (or 'whitelist' - whatever your AV/firewall program calls it). In this case, it's dropbox.com (notably blocked on corporate/gov networks to avoid people storing proprietary/sensitive information there). I know Win doesn't block it by default, but 3rd party programs might. You may want to try loading the post on your phone (not on wireless - just the cell data connection) to see how it works (it should, since cell networks and phones are usually pretty open). If it works on your phone, then it may either be network filtering (usually the case if you're at work/university/etc.), or it's your computer's firewall. How you adjust your local firewall is dependent on the software you have installed. I'd sooner remove 3rd party AV/Firewalls than try to mess with them (the Win default firewall and AV is effective enough for the average home user), but searching on google should get you what you need.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm on Win10- 64 and using the Windows firewall and Windows Defender.  Both are set up with the default settings.  I'll work on it and let you know. :smile:

blaustern

Thanks for the explanation Kyle. I have the problem on both my Win7 and W10 machines when in Avsim, it would seem. I need to go digging to see why I only get the title and .jpg box some times and not others. selecting "inspect" of the box shows me that it is avsim.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imagep......etc. Yet when I look a little further down the guide, I can see the Trillinear filtering.JPG easily and when I look at "inspect", the img src = look very similar.

A quick Google indicates this can be quite a problem to resolve due to all sorts of issues as Kyle mentioned.  

Geoff Bryce

9 minutes ago, por930 said:

Thanks for the explanation Kyle. I have the problem on both my Win7 and W10 machines when in Avsim, it would seem. I need to go digging to see why I only get the title and .jpg box some times and not others. selecting "inspect" of the box shows me that it is avsim.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imagep......etc. Yet when I look a little further down the guide, I can see the Trillinear filtering.JPG easily and when I look at "inspect", the img src = look very similar.

Interesting. I'll see if we can move the images onto our server. Currently, they're split between dropbox (the settings lists), and our PMDG servers (the example images). Moving it all onto our server may help.

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Interesting. I'll see if we can move the images onto our server. Currently, they're split between dropbox (the settings lists), and our PMDG servers (the example images). Moving it all onto our server may help.

Yeah, well for me...the  2 Trilinear pics are bright and clear, yet the three jpg above are still in boxes. So, some thing is different with the two set of jpg pics. Where ever you have the two big pics, works for me. 

Geoff Bryce

On 4/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, scandinavian13 said:

Good afternoon Kyle,

Any progress on this?  

blaustern