Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

immersion factor

hi allwhat do you do to increase the immersion factor in FS?is it perhaps more addons, better planes, bigger monitors, or perhaps faster computers, more hardware i,e TRACK IR?i really think to get better immersion i think the bigger the monitor the better the immersion will be like a 37" or 40" monitor.Discuss...

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

There are a lot of add-on tools and gadgets to increase the immersion factor. Of course, the ultimate would be a full-motion simulator or a home cockpit, but only a few have the funds and the time to realize this.What I can definitely recommend is TrackIR. It is really one of the best gadgets for FS. Other tools come in at a close second: Radar Contact, Flight Deck Companion, FS2Crew - and of course high-quality add-on planes.I don't think that a bigger monitor would increase the immersion level a whole lot, unless you switch to a big television set, projector or a multi-monitor setup.Happy flying,Pat

I think, in order of priority.this is JMO.Apart from software like scenary addons and aircraft addons, Hardware certainly helps.So here goes.1. Yoke.2. Rudder3. throttle 4. Trim wheel (non available that fits my budget) Anything less than 5" Diameter don't count5. Nav Radio (atleast one Nav 1 Radio from Go flight, if not a full radio suit)6. Large size monitor7. Freznel Lens (This is my recent find)8. Multi monitor/Networked PCs

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest SX-BVA

How about a FA uniform for your girlfriend/wife? :-lol Miltos

Guest allcott

120mph fan, relocated house to edge of 2,000ft cliff. Set fire to large bundles of paper money on a frequent basis. That should do it.;)Allcott

I use CH controls (Yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant), ActiveSky V for weather, Radar Contact 4 for ATC. I fly mostly IFR flights in aircraft with good panels and decent flight models. I program most keyboard functions to buttons/levers on my controls.For night flights, I have a desklamp with a red bulb, positioned about 3 feet above my desk. I kill all other lights. At first, it's difficult to see everything, but as your night vision adjusts, it becomes fairly realistic to a night cockpit.Dale

Dale

I pull out all my real-world aviation stuff, except my headset, so I sit with my kneeboard, dork wheel (E-6B), paper charts, and several other gadgets.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest Staggerwing

CH USB yoke and pedalsTrackIR pro with vector expansionheadset with mike and voice command for radioGood sound system with sub woofer on chair back or seatRoom lighting adjusted to suit flightie all room lights out for night flightsUse of real knee board,charts, plates & mapsUse Real current weather with look at Internet radar for routeFight plan for every flightVirtual preflight walk around with all checks using real checklistsInternet visit to city you are flying to and a look at the real airports you'll be using. Lots of work... good rewards

This may not be exactly what your question meant, but to me the plane's vc or panel can be average, the flight dynamics can be a bit off, my monitor is only a 17inch CRT and I use an old CH Flightsick and Logitech pedals - but for me the factor most likely to make me believe in the whole flight sim experience is very good quality real-life sound. Then I am actually in the plane. Without great engine sound(just try flying your favorite plane and then press the Q key)IMHO it is just another game.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

Smell is also an important factor. I keep an old hotplate on the desk and put a couple drops of Jet-A on it just before starting engines. :-eekAlso, if you go buy a McDonald's breakfast meal, let it sit for a couple of hours and get stone cold and half-stale, it simulates an airline breakfast bag-nasty pretty well. If you have a hideously overweight female neighbor with a bad attitude, maybe you can get her to stick her head in the door and whine at you every couple of hours to provide flight attendant immersion...Bob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

LOL i bet you do, we really do have here some flight sim nuts!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

>> what do you do to increase the immersion factor in FS?I take a hit of acid and squint my eyes.That usually suspends my disbelief, for awhile at least.

Hi, here are some things that may help.I tried projectors and multiple monitors. I find that a large, at least 21 in., high resolution Monitor works the best for me. Projectors, and some large LCDs tend to have visible gaps between the active pixels which detracts from the sensation of reality. Going from a 17, or even a 19 in. monitors to a 21 or 23 does help, and it may take while to get used to the feel. I