Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

45 pattern entry

How is the pilot supposed to fly in this situation:"Tower, CessnaXXXXX six miles south, request straight-in left base entry" Tower:"CessnaXXXXX, enter on the 45, report on the 45"?Thanks.

Guest TRK3586

I wish I had seen this post as a refresher before I took my private pilot checkride...I ended up entering a right downwind for some stupid reason at an uncontrolled airport...I guess over time, flying at a controlled airport, I simply forgot that left was standard...Anyway, I'm still kicking myself.Tim

Guest bobsk8

Left traffic is standard unless the airport information specifically states right traffic on the runway you are landing on.

There's several uncontrolled fields here that have a right bass for some runways like Chelan Muni (left base on the southbound runway would slam you into the cliffside), and Chewelah (same story as Chelan) come to mind.You can expect to see right hand patterns were terrain and other runway's patterns are a concern.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

That is a good little article.Interesting that he finally chose to fly into the pattern from the crosswind leg, as his standard procedure seems to more 'acceptable'...anyway...You may also try this page on the AOPA web site which gives you access to a variety of safetly 'articles' and standard procedures which can be downloaded in .PDF format. I always keep a Traffic Pattern Diagram print-out close by (for quick reference) from one of the publications on flying into unrestricetd airspace/traffic patterns. There is also one for 'towered' airports as well....plus a variety of of other 'stuff'.http://www.aopa.org/asf/safety_topics.html#airport