Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

Bosten Logan - Sloping Taxiways - what about sloping rw...

On the first shot on this link there is clearly a sloping taxiway visible. http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.ph...870232d0bef8030It is always said, that there are now sloping runways possible in FS9. I'm a layman in scenery design, but I guess if sloping taxiways are possible there must also be sloping runways possible in FS9. And I think to rmember that there is a series of small freeware airfield available, which have also sloping runways).So, what's possible?Wolfgang

Hi WolfgangIts not a sloping taxiway. Its the way your eyes interpret it.That taxiway is not in a straight line but goes straight for a while then turns to the right. When viewed from the screenshot it looks as if the taxiway is running up a hill in a straight line but there is actually a slight turn on it but your mind thinks its a slope instead due to the perspective of the screenshot.Craig

Hi Craig,ah, I see! That's not the answer I would have liked to hear. :-(But anyway many thanks for your explanation!Wolfgang

Guest wildfire563

Craig didn't say it's not possible, only that Logan is pretty flat in FS.As you noted, there are several airports available that have somehow implemented sloping runways. Logan isn't one of them.Thomas

Sloping runways and taxiways are indeed possible in FS9. You have to bend the rules a little, but if it weren't for the corpses of non-SDK-compliant designs littering the ground, we'd have very little in the way of FS innovation today. The problem I've always run into when doing this kind of thing is AI traffic. Make a sloped runway, sure, no problem. However, trying to get an AI airplane to land on it and roll out properly, as near as I can tell, is impossible. That's because the AI planes have to have a groove to run in, which is provided by the AF files - you know, the stuff we edit in AFCAD. And those runways and taxiways currently have no provision for multiple altitudes for different points. It's all one height to them. Try it out... edit an AFCAD file to give the runway a different height from the taxiway. You'll find that the AI planes don't recognize any altitude other thatn the one they start on. So if they taxi from the ramp to the runway at 15 feet MSL, they're going to roll down the runway at that altitude as well, even if it's set to 30 feet MSL in the AFCAD file.If anyone can refute this and offer proof that multi-altitude AFCADs can be used successfully by AI, I'll give 'em my firstborn. He's 20 now, and getting kinda cranky, so be forewarned...

>And I think to rmember that there is a series of small>freeware airfield available, which have also sloping>runways).>http://www.vf-air.com/commentaires.htmKyprianos Biris :-cool[link:hvacc.org]Hellenic vACChttp://vateur.org/staff/vateur_m.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/810309/3.png

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Another example of a sloping runway : Meg

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

So it is possible! (At least without AI traffic.)Thanks to everybody who has responded! These examples you all have provided are some awsome sceneries!And Bill, since, as mentioned, I'm a complete layman in scenery design, there is gladly no danger, that I'll end up with your firstborn :-lol My wive and myself are kept busy enough by our 4-year and our 2-year old. ;-)Woilfgang