Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

EGNL Scenery gitch in the new beta...

Good evening guys .... [memo to self: what a silly statement to make on a global flight sim forum!]

I have just upgraded my 'clean' test setup to the latest beta, only to find that the Furness Peninsula in the UK appears to have been the victim of a tectonic shift?  (and there was me blaming the dog....)

Is there anyone out there with the latest v11.01b1 (and a few minutes to spare), who would care to try a circuit of EGNL for me before I file a bug report?

It would be really appreciated.

Regards,

Hi JLS,

I took a quick flight out of EGNL and all looked normal to me. Nice looking area to fly in. The runway is a bit short.

I didn't see signs of a tectonic shift unless it was further away than my flight circuit.

• Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

It should be noted that with this new Beta release, it is not a typical beta in the sense that everyone should participate.  It has been said elsewhere that strange things could happen and are not subjected to immediate attention and fixing.  This Beta is geared more towards developers, rather than us pilots.  If you feel you need this, then I would strongly recommend a separate install.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

9 minutes ago, Jimm said:

It should be noted that with this new Beta release, it is not a typical beta in the sense that everyone should participate.  It has been said elsewhere that strange things could happen and are not subjected to immediate attention and fixing.  This Beta is geared more towards developers, rather than us pilots.  If you feel you need this, then I would strongly recommend a separate install.

I sort of took that 'as read' Jim.and I use my RCv1.0 for normal day-to-day flights but have a seperate installation for beta versions. As jcjimmy said, it all looks normal to him -  so it must be something on my side? (hence my request for feedback and the hesitation at reporting a bug). 

Here is what I am seeing....

https://youtu.be/89ThSLol94c 

Any thoughts?

p.s. Thanks jcjimmy for taking the time out to test it. 1+ beer on the way. :biggrin:

Just seen the freudian slip in my post heading. It should have been Glitch ..... and apparently Gitch ='underpants' in the US and Canada?  Ho Hum.....!!

This is not a bug - it is a design limitation.

The underlying mesh has a limited resolution, and it is driven by terrain elevation data. If all data was correct and the mesh very fine in resolution, this wouldn´t happen, of course. You may get better results when using a mesh with higher resolution, like AlpilotX´s HD (or even UHD) Mesh.

Compounding the problem is the airport, which is close by. My money is on the fact that that the author clicked the "always flatten" button when creating it in WED - this will force-flatten a fairly large area around the airport, resulting in unnatural "cliffs" where the flattening effect stops (usually at the junction to the next mesh-node).

Cheers, Jan

Yes, this is caused by the flattening on the airport which in my experience doesn't work too well when there is water or steep terrain nearby. As an example, check the cliffs of water at Bergen, Norway

As mentioned, this is a limitation of the scenery system at the moment, but hopefully we'll see it addressed one day

Hi Jan and Tony .... and whilst I understand your comments (I have seen similar 'cliffs' etc. in my other sims), I am still puzzled as to why this glitch does not appear in the stable release version of XP?

I have attached another vid (taken in XP11 v1.0), showing roughly the same flight path as before - but this time displaying correctly what is actually there (apart from the excess of trees that is).

https://youtu.be/87va9TgFe4c

This is using the default XP mesh (with no scenery addons) used in both versions. Something has obviously changed in the new beta to generate this anomaly surely?

Yes something has changed, and the reason is likely that the airport boundary and mesh have been updated since the XP10 mesh was originally cut a few years ago and the gateway airport boundary has changed (and possibly the coastline) and this is reflected in the mesh. The easiest way to confirm this would be to install HD Mesh for the area in both sims and if you have exactly the same version of both the mesh and airport, you'll likely have exactly the same problem (or fix) in both sims. 

If you do have both the same version of the mesh and gateway airport installed and it is indeed broken in XP11 and not XP10, then you should report a bug.