Sign in to follow this  
Victoroos

QRH how to use it

HI all

I was thinking about spicing up my flight with the 737 and 777, and turning on service based failures.

However, when opening the QRH, I'm overwhelmed. Simply because I can't understand the "quick" part of the references. How to find where to look quickly?

vkr

victor

Victor Roos

At the front of the QRH you should find a table of contents (actually three -- one organised by EICAS message, another for unannunciated procedures and a third arranged alphabetically.

Simply locate the relevant procedure based on the EICAS message, read the page number and turn to it!

Remember that there should be no rush. Take your time, make sure the flight path is under control, and work through the relevant checklist(s) methodically.

Remember that a crew does that, the Pilot Monitoring grabs the book and looks at it, whilst the Pilot Flying, erm, flies.

So what you should do in your sim, is pause the flight, look it up, then unpause it and sort it out. If you want more of a challenge, you can drop the sim to 1/2 or 1/4 speed and do both tasks yourself, which might add a bit more urgency to proceedings, alternatively, you can get your wife/girlfiend/lover/well trained pet etc, to read the QRH (Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, The Littlest Hobo, Champion the Wonder Horse, Mister Ed or Skippy the Bush Kangaroo would be good choices for this). But whichever you do, these will be more realistic than trying to read it whilst also trying to fly the aeroplane, so don't try to do two jobs at once.

As with all minor/major technical problems in the skies, the number one thing is to fly the aeroplane. If we had a quid for how many times people have forgotten that and made matters worse, we'd all be rich (see Eastern Airlines Flight 401 for the best example of this); I nearly stalled an aeroplane once on take-off myself because of being distracted by a minor problem when I was learning to fly (a vibration coming from the instrument panel which turned out to simply be one loose screw, and instead of watching the climb angle and airspeed indicator, I was looking at the panel fixings), that was a good lesson learned and one which stayed with me - if it ain't affecting flight, then it ain't important enough to stop you concentrating on flying the thing!

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The QRH has 4 sections or indexes that you can use to expeditiously find what you are looking for. After silencing any warnings or cautions, identify the problem by referencing the EICAS message on the alert screen. Not all problems present themselves with a message. Items like a cracked windshield, fuel jettison, passenger evacuation, smoke, fire, or fumes, etc., do not have messages associated with them. These are unannunciated checklist items.

The first index is the Quick Action Index on the front page. You will notice they are all BOLD. These are items that need attention in a timely manner. You will notice some have bigger font than others, and some are all CAPITAL LETTERS and some are not. Some are memory or recall items and some are not. The bigger font are those items you could be referencing with smoke googles on, so the font is made bigger in case there is an obstruction to visibility like smoke. The items with all capital letters are EICAS messages that will be on the alert screen of primary or the upper EICAS display in the form of Warnings, Cautions, or Advisory messages. The items that are not all caps are unannunciated checklist items, again like Airspeed Unreliable.

The second index in is the EICAS MESSAGE LIST and is all CAPITAL LETTERS. This is where you should go when you are looking up a message, it is in alphabetical order. Find the message and go to the section and page number listed.

The third index is the Unannunciated Index. This is where you go when you do not have an EICAS message like a Two Engine Inoperative Landing checklist in the 747.  BOLD are Quick Action Items, like Aborted Engine Start.

The fourth index is an Alphabetical Index that includes everything, so this is another option to just go here for everything, EICAS messages or Unannunciated messages, and does include QUICK ACTION items as well, though you should get those from the first page. So in here you will see BOLD messages, messages in all CAPITALS, and messages in regular letters.

Of course, all of this is made easier if you have an Electronic Checklist (ECL) like in the 777, 787, or 747-8. Then, you have a smart application with options that takes you where you want to be. There is a learning curve with the proper operation of the ECL as well.

3 hours ago, Chock said:

whilst the Pilot Flying, erm, flies.

haha - reminds me of my first multi lesson.

"So, what do you do if an engine fails?"
Uhhh...continue flying the plane.
"Good answer."   *pulls left throttle back*
"Hope you didn't go for one of your epic bike rides today. What are you gonna do now?"
*runs checklist to identify and troubleshoot*

Kyle Rodgers

I just purchased the 747 v3 days less than a week and I always have service based failures running. And when I'm not using a PMDG aircraft I run FSPassengers. That really makes flightsimming fun because at first you'll be lookin' for trouble but after hours and hours of flying nothing will happen and you'll settle down into a lull and then boom out of nowhere there's trouble. Oh we've got trouble, trouble right here in the Cockpit. That's trouble with a capital T and that T rhymes with C and that C stands for cockpit. Oh we've got trouble!

I don't want to have to print something like that out so I think the best solution would be an e-reader because the pdf has clickable links to the index.

Ciao!