38 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

Hello,

I've just installed the latest MCE, using it with PF3, and P3DV4.3.

I'm trying use the FO handling all ATC (switch freq., respond to ATC, etc.). Of course, I know to handle the radio and ATC responses while on the ground, but once in the air, I say 'YOU HAVE ATC'. The FO responds that he does, but from that point on, he never responds to ATC, never automatically changes the frequencies, etc.

Not sure what to look at to help me find out what I'm either doing wrong or what setting I need to adjust...

When I do take over, by pressing the PTT button on my joystick, ATC does respond correctly to my requests...but is very slow to respond. Pressing one of the PF3 keys to respond gets a much faster response.

I've tried wading through these 17 pages to find some help, but it is difficult to find things, and then try out in PF3/MCE. It would great if a summary of information or FAQ could be added.

I did find information such as:

PfePerCharSpeedDuration=40
MceFOPerCharSpeedDuration=40

which I did just add to the mce.ini, but have not tried yet. Not sure if this will solve the completely non-working FO command to 'have ATC', but I'll try. If there are other things I can look at, I would surely appreciate the help.

Thank you.

The FO not handling ATC when told he has the comms is down to ability to read the captions PF3 sends to Prepar3D

MCE used to read those inside the sim and you had to have them enabled in PF3 settings.

Since a couple of years ago, there is an option in "PF3_MCE.ini" (found inside PF3 installation folder).

Change "Active=0" to "Active=1"

With that option enabled, MCE would read the captions from a log file called "Clearance/.log" in \PF3\Logs\ folder.

If your callsign is say KLM 265, the FO would only consider captions that start with "KLM 265" or "roger KLM 265" as intended for you, and will ignore all the other messages directed at other others.

Don't use the other PF3 option, "Use voice set ID" that prefixes captions with "w_s" or other markers like that.

What call-sign are you using?

Thank you,

I'll try setting Active=1 .

In this case, I am using N8001N.

As far as "Use Voice set ID", do you mean uncheck Display Voice Set ID (as shown below)?

LmDyAnX.jpg

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

In "PF3_MCE.ini" (found inside PF3 installation folder), I did change "Active=0" to "Active=1"

I also unchecked "USE CLOSED CAPTIONS". I also changed my call sign to N8001 to make it a bit easier..

Here's some of what I see in the log file in reference to me:

American November 8001 Turn right heading 235  
American November 8001 Contact BARCELONA CONTROL on 132.05   
American November 8001 Climb to Flight Level 110  
American November 8001 resume own navigation  
American November 8001 Climb to Flight Level 210  
American November 8001 Contact BARCELONA CONTROL on 132.05   

But, I'm still not getting the FO to automatically respond when I say "You have ATC".

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

OK,

Rereading what you wrote, I'm going to change my callsign to KLM 265 (to make it easier) and see if that helps.

3 minutes ago, flyblueskies said:

OK,

Rereading what you wrote, I'm going to change my callsign to KLM 265 (to make it easier) and see if that helps.

You can use American Airlines. However as in real world, an airliner typically uses a flight number, not a registration tail number.

And although it may sometimes end with a single letter like 8001A, it never starts with one.

American 8001 would be a good candidate

And you can transmit using either

American eight zero zero one

American eight double zero one

American eight double oh one

American eight thousand one

OK,

KLM 265 definitely works!

I'll give American 8001 a go next.

Thanks for all your help!

How would I open a flight plan through flight service if there is no clearance deliver? For instance I'm at Gibraltar and I want to open up a flight-plan how would I do that?

Normally, without MCE, I would tune to FSS and press the appropriate number. But, I'm not sure what to actually speak when using MCE.

Edited by flyblueskies

1 hour ago, flyblueskies said:

How would I open a flight plan through flight service if there is no clearance deliver? For instance I'm at Gibraltar and I want to open up a flight-plan how would I do that?

You open an FP in the same way as with Clearance Delivery Control. Either on the ground or on the tower (if there is no ground control). If there is no ground or tower control, you contact the FSS a first time.....wait for the FSS to answer "Go Ahead" then ask for example "Clearance Delivery>>>Call Sign>>> Ready to Copy".

For your information, in the manual you have:

"Should you find yourself departing from an uncontrolled airport, without
Clearance, Tower or Ground control facilities you could be excused for asking
'how on earth do obtain IFR clearance in such a situation'?

New in PF3 version 3.2.0 we have introduced support for obtaining IFR
clearance from FSS. Here's how it works...
First you need to tune to FSS and hit hotkey #0, this is your 'wake up' call to
FSS... there could be a delay of up to 30 seconds so be patient, they're not
ATC controllers. Once they put their coffee down they will ask you to 'go
ahead' at which point, if you're using VCP mode 1, otherwise it will be
automatic, you can either hit the 'Roger' hotkey or hotkey #0 again."

Hope this help.

Regards,

Edited by DrumsArt

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Excellent!

I'll give this a try. Thank you for  your help!

Thank  you DrumsArt. It looks like I still need to press the '0' key in order to get FSS attention. Maybe I did not wait long enough, but I would like to contact FSS via MCE by saying the proper words. I'm still not sure what words to use...

Just a follow-up...

Using American 381 (without letters before 381) worked very well. The FO took care of ATC just as he should. I really appreciate the help FS++!

So the key things for me were:

1. Change Active=0 to Active=1 in "PF3_MCE.ini" (found inside PF3 installation folder). 

2. Do not use letters before the number in my call sign. For example, use AMERICAN 381 (not American N381).

3. Uncheck Use Closed Caption Mode and Display Voice Set ID.

xW95M2E.jpg

Edited by flyblueskies

2 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

Thank  you DrumsArt. It looks like I still need to press the '0' key in order to get FSS attention. Maybe I did not wait long enough, but I would like to contact FSS via MCE by saying the proper words. I'm still not sure what words to use...

Did you try what I quote in my previous post?

......" ask for example "Clearance Delivery>>>Call Sign>>> Ready to Copy"."

It works for me, for FSS or anything...

Regards,

Edited by DrumsArt

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

30 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

Did you try what I quote in my previous post?

......" ask for example "Clearance Delivery>>>Call Sign>>> Ready to Copy"."

It works for me, for FSS or anything...

Regards,

Thank you DrumsArt...not sure I said those exact words (inputting call sign of course), but I will give that a try.

Thank you for following up with me.

You're welcome, normally American Airlines 381 should work. On an other side I'm surprised there's no tower in Gibraltar!?

Regards,

Edited by DrumsArt

Richard Portier

You're right again DrumsArt. Gibraltar does have Tower.

On a positive note, I used you words "Clearance Deliver>>>Call Sign>>>Ready to Copy" to contact FSS at Gibraltar. It did get there attention. While I did have to repeat "Clearance Deliver>>>Call Sign>>>Ready to Copy", FSS did give me clearance and altitude.

Thank you very much DrumsArt. I very much appreciate  your help!