Sign in to follow this  
catmar

For the techie guys and girls

I don't know if I can get this across so that there is no confusion but I'll try my best.

I have FSX-MS, and to run this simulation I have an old i7-950 overclocked to 4Ghz this runs on a Gigabyte X58A-UDR3 motherboard the graphics done by
a Nvidia GTX 970sc GPU.

I recently purchased the Aerosoft A320/321 and had to turn down the autogen to sparse which did give me a nice FPS at big airports like Aerosoft Mega
Airports at around 25fps or so give or take a few. Being on a fixed pension like a lot of other people I have to be a bit careful where I put my money but I
need to know if it's worth purchasing a modern CPU which runs around the same speed 4Ghz not overclocked maybe a LGA1151 CPU with a good
motherboard but keeping the GTX 970 as I believe that's good enough for the graphics.

Would that give me a smoother flight with a gain in FPS, I guess what I'm trying to say is, are these newer CPU's more efficient at handling the code
than my old i7-950 and would the saving and purchasing be worth it for me?

A straight yes or no would be suffice but by all means if you are inclined to do so give me an explanation of why and what to go for so that I can be
quite sure that my hard earned cash is not wasted effort.

Thanks and grateful for any reply.

catmar (Clive)

Since the CPU is the main driving force for all the Flight Sims,  all issues with increased performance relate to the performance of the CPU.  I also had the motherboard that you spoke about.  I have since traded up to 6700K with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 and 32MB ram.   The most important part of my performance increase was the 6700K.  Increased efficiencies in processing and use of the memory is the main difference between the different generations.  Gen 7 processors have bigger and faster cache which ends up driving your flyability.  The 6700K with Air can easily reach 4.5Ghz, not so much the speed but the silicon and design of these current gen processors.

• Upvote 1

Thanks markmasterson, so my understanding is in the right ball park with regards to efficiency. this is a step in the right direction I think. It seems that I would not be wasting my time.

Thank you.

You don't necessarily have to get more than 25-30 fps. It's all about SMOOOOTH ;)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yes I do understand that smoothness is what it's all about but I would rather have smoothness in double digits than slightly jerky at a single digit. I have my system much better now by turning
down autogen to very sparse and reducing most of the sliders to the left. I have also learned that by changing my affinitymask from 84 to 85 (using all cores) and then running any apps like
AS16 with a bat file making the app use affinity mask 3 if I remember the sim is much better. But it would not hurt to have more efficiency with generation 7 CPU.

Thanks for your remark HighBypass (are you an electronics engineer by chance? high by pass and low by pass filters etc)

I just recently upgraded from an I7-950 OC'd to 4.2GHZ to a I5-6600K OC'd to 4.4GHZ.  Definitely notice the difference.  I'm able to run at higher settings and maintain a steady/smooth 30 FPS (locked) with my vid card only being a Strix GTX 960 w/4GB DDR5.

It's worth the upgrade.  I was also hesitant since the i7-950 is a decent and tough cpu, but if you really think about it, the technology is almost a decade old.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

I'm in the same boat. I'm running an old i5-2500K at 4.4ghz and am thinking about upgrading to an i5-7600K and was wondering the same thing. I'd hate to spend the $ and not see a huge increase. I will eventually upgrade my gtx 960 to a 1070 or better. 

20 hours ago, catmar said:

....are you an electronics engineer by chance? high by pass and low by pass filters etc...

Alas, no. It was just a suitably aviation-themed username, based upon current turbofan engines - High bypass ratio :happy:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

About 4 years ago I retired my i7-860 at 3.9Ghz, a very close cousin to the 950, for a 4770k at 4.5k.  Though the FSX performance boost was most noticeable, welcomed, and IMO completely worth the price of admission, IMO I would not call it miraculous (for FSX there will never be miraculous).  If you can spare the expense, you will be pleased with the upgrade, though note the 7700k insists on Win10.

I'd consider an upgrade of my 4770k to a 7700k a solid waste of money, for the meager FSX performance increase is not worth it.

As for upgrading a 2600k, some claim that you won't get that much extra FSX bang for your buck on that upgrade.  IMO that upgrade is a tough call if it's all about the money spent.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Thanks for all the replies guys that's very encouraging to hear and I will certainly be saving for a I7-7700K or an I5-7600K which means a new Motherboard and RAM but by the looks of it the purchases will be for the better.

catmar