Sign in to follow this  

my first genuine X11 flight

Hi everyone-

Perhaps silly to write this as we're all X-Plane fans, but after this flight I just had to share this.

I've owned both X10 and X11 since they have been released, but today was the first time I actually attempted a "real" flight with my first purchased addon Airfoil Labs 172.  After the short flight from KRME to KSYR, I literally was more impressed with the whole experience than the patch work effort I've been making FSX over the past years.

Airfoil Labs made an amazing C172 that was exciting to fly and neat features like fogging windows.  The X11 GNS430 with the database updates from navigraph and the FAA download made the trip complete.  The visuals out the window was something FSX just cannot do either.  So in short, I think I've finally detoxed from FSX and can let it go.  Just like many of us, I've spent hundreds of dollars on FSX over the years and that was my excuse I guess to keep hanging on.

All I left hoping for is the same thing you all are as well: Seasonal textures and an ATC engine.  Once those things come, it'll be time to put FSX in the Smithsonian for good. 

• Upvote 4

I'm in the exact same situation: I have uninstalled all my FSX stuff from my SSD and put XP11 in its place. And I only miss a couple of things, especially the PMDG 737 and the Aerosoft A320, but Apart from that, XP already feels smoother than FSX ever was for me and just handles like a stable program should. With FSX I was afraid of a CTD every time I interacted with the menus...

I'm also excited to learn new planes like the FF757 and 767 and plan on getting the IXEG 737. I am also quite satisfied with the freeware 124th ATC, which is in active development and provides some basic ATC functionality at a decent level.

One question a bit off-topic: I haven't really understood what the FAA download provides that a current airac from Navigraph wouldn't. Is there any gain in downloading the FAA file or is it just a free alternative for those who don't have a navdata subscription? (I read the post on the dev blog, but still don't get it...)

18 hours ago, domae001 said:

I'm in the exact same situation: I have uninstalled all my FSX stuff from my SSD and put XP11 in its place. And I only miss a couple of things, especially the PMDG 737 and the Aerosoft A320, but Apart from that, XP already feels smoother than FSX ever was for me and just handles like a stable program should. With FSX I was afraid of a CTD every time I interacted with the menus...

I'm also excited to learn new planes like the FF757 and 767 and plan on getting the IXEG 737. I am also quite satisfied with the freeware 124th ATC, which is in active development and provides some basic ATC functionality at a decent level.

One question a bit off-topic: I haven't really understood what the FAA download provides that a current airac from Navigraph wouldn't. Is there any gain in downloading the FAA file or is it just a free alternative for those who don't have a navdata subscription? (I read the post on the dev blog, but still don't get it...)

I to formatted my P3D SSD after seeing police lights at night time along with traffic lights! INSTANTLY made my mind up lol !!! XP11 is gorgeous!! Fair enough, it lacks crucial things we have been spoilt with on P3D, but the potential is out of this world IMO!! .... I bought the ff767 and am close to completing my first flight, I want to test out the auto land, ILS etc 

• Upvote 1