Sign in to follow this  
killairbus

A lot of thrust to get 30% PW

I just loaded a blue United PW 747 at D4 in KSFO and I noticed that it takes quite a lot more thrust to get to 30% N1, under standard conditions, for each engine when compared to GE and RR. Is this supposed to be how it actually operates? Because the Northwest jet needs the same amount of thrust as United to get moving

-Angelo Busato

Your topic doesn't quite make sense. What do you mean that it takes more thrust? A higher EPR?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Movement on the throttle levers, sorry, in the GE and RRs moving the levers to 3 is enough to get the plane moving but I have to put PWs at 4.5 to get 30% N1.

Well they are different engines. That right there plays a huge role in your issue. It doesn't mean anything is broken.

On the jets I fly. one variant has completely different engines than the other and the behave in two totally different ways in terms of thrust lever angle

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Well it was odd seeing how out of the 3 engine options, 2 behave similarly in terms of throttle lever angle so I naturally thought the PW could've either had an issue or was more distinct than the other two than I thought. 

Do you mean the throttles in the VC move but engine thrust doesn't respond until the levers get to a certain point? I've seen this myself but never really thought much of it.

Yeah the N1 builds more slowly in the PW model and the throttles in the cockpit have to go past the usual position for 30% in the GE and RR. 

-Angelo

This is correct behavior, and after a short time one gets used to it.  The Pratts also have slightly less thrust but drink less fuel.  I remember how much I struggled with the Pratts when I first started flying with them during beta but communications with the developers and the technical data convinced me that they got the simulation right.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP