Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Threaded optimisation

Hi, 

Tentatively dipping my toes in the X-Plane 11 waters. Disappointed at first, but a few problems sorted down the line and I feel much happier! The main one turned out to be Threaded optimisation. I had read many posts recommending it be turned OFF for better performance and to reduce stuttering. Well, that didn't work for me. Low frame rates, and micro-stuttering everywhere both in and outside the cockpit. Nearly decided XP was not for me.

I wonder how many of you are aware that Threaded optimisation now appears to be working!? Has given me a very nice boost in frame rate. May not be the same for everyone, but it might be worth your while trying the effect of re-enabling it in Nvidia Control Panel for X-Plane, then stand back and see what occurs :ampun: I've spoken to one other user and his experience was the same. G-SYNC now becomes a viable option, assuming your monitor is capable and you wish to give it a go.

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi, 

Tentatively dipping my toes in the X-Plane 11 waters. Disappointed at first, but a few problems sorted down the line and I feel much happier! The main one turned out to be Threaded optimisation. I had read many posts recommending it be turned OFF for better performance and to reduce stuttering. Well, that didn't work for me. Low frame rates, and micro-stuttering everywhere both in and outside the cockpit. Nearly decided XP was not for me.

I wonder how many of you are aware that Threaded optimisation now appears to be working!? Has given me a very nice boost in frame rate. May not be the same for everyone, but it might be worth your while trying the effect of re-enabling it in Nvidia Control Panel for X-Plane, then stand back and see what occurs :ampun: I've spoken to one other user and his experience was the same. G-SYNC now becomes a viable option, assuming your monitor is capable and you wish to give it a go.

Regards,

Mike

The subject of Threaded Optimization is really no more than a suggestion.  It works for some, doesn't for others, just like every other tip out there, your mileage may vary.  The worst that can ever happen is something just won't work, and you just put things back the way they were.  Good to hear everything is going well and as XP evolves (I emphasize that), it'll become a much better performing simulator.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

In a few cases it seems to work, in other cases you have to turn it off. The real problem was, that the automatic ran amok on some plattforms.

I use Process Lasso and it does a good job utilizing every core and more to improve performance for me in XP11.

• Upvote 1

On my previous system, I gained a few FPS by turning it ON, on my current system, I gain a few FPS by turning it OFF.

No micro stutters either way though, and the difference between Off and On was pretty small.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

15 hours ago, Cruachan said:

I wonder how many of you are aware that Threaded optimisation now appears to be working!?

I just tried forcing it to On, and using Auto, and I can now use it without XP crashing, so something has changed. I'm not sure whether its XP, or the latest drivers, or Windows Creative, but the errors have gone. I need to test more, but forcing it on may have given me a small gain in performance, and certainly no stuttering as before.

Hi Novation,

As you will note from my rig specs I am still using an older set of drivers, 378.49, so I don't think this is necessarily driver dependent. I'm staying with these meantime until NVIDIA release a set which helps to resolve the OOM issues in P3D. Hopefully that won't be too far off.

Regards,

Mike