Sign in to follow this  
elprim

Any luck with gtx 1060?

There were some posts about this GPU few months ago, but now, full XP11 being released, can anyone with a gtx 1060 6Gb please share his experience? I know it is far from top class but 1070 costs some $200 more (at least in my part of the world where hardware prices are insane - 1080 is of course science fiction for me). I have an I7 4770K and 16G mem and single 24'' monitor 1920x1200, and one day I would also like to throw IXEG plane in the equation. Is it possible to have decent performance or should I continue to thicken my savings account?

Thanks

Daniel S.

It should be fine for XP11 at 1920x1080. X-Plane is mostly CPU bound, and this becomes even more true when you start throwing complex add-ons at it. So as long as you have a decent CPU (which you do), a mid-range GPU is more than enough unless you use multiple monitors or 4K resolution.

You might want to hold out and make sure you get the updated version with 9 Gbps memory, though. It should be slightly more future proof:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11262/asus-launches-geforce-gtx-1080-11-gbps-and-1060-9-gbps

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I went from a GTX670 2GB to the GTX1060 6GB and am very happy with the card, especially given its pricepoint. Obviously the 1070 will perform substantially better, certainly in other games, but for running XP and P3D 1080p the GTX1060 seemed to offer more than enough at this point, and given the rest of my hardware - i5 2500K @4.4ghz - 8GB RAM - it seemed the best fit.

Typically in XP11 I'm seeing an average of 30fps. This is using light GA stuff, and mostly bush type flying, so rarely into large cities, or complex airports and fairly low altitude. I use xEnviro for weather and ortho4XP for scenery at ZL17 at the settings below.

a702566b4ed4c825b9f2475f047cf647.jpg

PQ and frames seems decent over this typical scene flying over Cork Ireland.

VSLEuroFOX_21.jpg

To me its an okay card, but go for the best you can afford.

• Upvote 1

Ok, this sounds encouraging. Thank you both for your analisys. I'll definitely buy it (and if disappointed I can always rollback to fsx). (This hobby is getting more and more expensive)

Novation,

I am considering the same upgrade. GTX 670 2GB to GTX 1060 6GB.  The biggest FPS killer for me is the stock XP 11 clouds.  Did you ever fly with XP  11's stock clouds?  It would be interesting to see if your performance  increase came from the hardware or xEnviro? 

Thanks!