Sign in to follow this  
Max Kraus

Developing bad habits...

I admit I have developed a number of bad habits, attempting to get up in the air as quickly as possible in FS9. I was browsing the 'Never Again' section on AOPA (http://www.aopa.org/pilot/never_again/) and really see how this can happen IRL too. I suggest ifyou get a chance, read some of the interesting stuff that the real world pilots encounter.How many of us have developed similar 'Bad Habits', and see where it has adversely affected your flying in FS9? For me pre-flights, checklists among a few other things have gone with the wind in my flying recently, and has caused me frustration a number of times in FS9 whether it be running out of fuel, and not planning properly, to flying into known bad weather conditions and ovrestressing the aircraft. And I remember thinking to myself, wow, I wished I would have planned or at least checked the conditions as best as possible, because I just wasted two hours or so flying and screwing up due to poor planning.Guess I better shape up or ship out!![hr color=#000000][table border=0" width="98%" id="table1" height="4" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2][td width=500]Jason CYOO - Formerly MYNN[br /]General Aviation Fan[br][/b]P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, FX5900 128MB, XP SP2.[br /][br /]

The latest episode of "Never Again", involves using a mental, instead of written checklist and forgetting to turn off the auxiliary fuel pump, which is consuming a lot of juice, along with the night lights.Years ago, I was just terrible, mind wise, when it came to turning ON the pump, as well as turning it off. Even left the dang thing on during my checkride, until it crossed my mind. Flight Simulation, actually "cured" me of this absent minded disease! I made it a point to use the switch, every time I simulated flight in a plane that had one. I usually start simulating on the runway with engines running, but at least I can flip the switch on for takeoff, and off at the appropriate time.I also went overboard when wiring my kitbuilt. I put in a lighted fuel pump switch (red) as well as a amber colored light on the annunciator panel. And..............we won't talk about the "missing" fuel cap, last year... :D L.Adamson

Guest Philip Olson

I used to suffer this all of the time in flight sim, I thought "this is just a game". What cured me was when I finally decided to join the real aviation world and started taking lessons. I would say about a month before I started my lessons I took everything life and death seriously in the sim and I will never go back. I do not want to become one of those people who have to say oops! I do fly FS for "fun" but bad habits in FS could too easily translate into the real world, over confidence kills just as many as lack of competence does. Much better to be safe than sorry.Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Yeah I guess we're all human and not all of us has the time to do all the pre-flight. Some just wanna get in the air AFAB. Me included. It's just make believe, remember.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU