Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

Google Earth vs FSX

On 4/21/2017 at 4:05 AM, Lorby_SI said:

Google have recently cancelled the GoogleEarth API, so after a few updates, GE will no longer be accessible for external tools.

You might take a look at GE View 2.0.  It's free.

Bob

Agreed that we are on the cusp of truly amazing integration of software, hardware and live data.,

You can go hunting remotely via the internet. I can foresee a time when you could fly remotely - the ultimate sim.

4 hours ago, Propwash said:

You might take a look at GE View 2.0.  It's free.

Bob

Hello Bob,

this:

It does not work with Google Earth v.9.

Many doors are being closed to freeware offerings that rely on the online base data to be free as well.

If Google continues on the path that they are taking with GE, it will eventually be a restricted platform for (paid) Google apps only. This may not be desireable for a flightsimmer, but considering the cost of their infrastructure to host that data, it seems logical.

I suppose, if there is to be a "streamed" flightsim, it will be a paid subscription of some kind.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver,

I'm probably not as pessimistic about Googles' motives or the evolution of Google Earth.  One thing I'd like to point out, you quoted my statement, "It (GE View 2) does not work with Google Earth v.9."  The context of that statement is important to remember.  Google didn't release Earth v.9 until 18 April - just a few weeks ago, we had already completed work on and were ready to release EarthProxy 1.2, and we had not yet had time to look at Earth v.9.  On the positive side, Google says that Earth v.9 retains support for KML, which is all we need for GE View/EarthProxy.  If it supports KML, then I would expect they will publish the javascript API.  On the negative, however, they didn't release the API yet, and v.9 is compatible only with Chrome for the time being, so, indeed, we're all going to have to wait and see.

In the meantime, GE View works great with Google Earth Desktop Client and Desktop Client Pro. 

As for Google's pulling the plug on the original Earth browser plug-in, that was because browsers were deprecating NPAPI, the platform upon which Earth API was built.  And, I'd guess the release of Earth v.9 was principally motivated by a desire to get Earth on the same map rendering engine as Google Maps, so software engineering and maintenance are streamlined.

You might be right about it, but I'm not quite to the point where I think Google will move Earth to a paid subscription.

Bob