Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Does P3D need an HDR display to look its best?

@turboken, you can't compare HDR on 4K Blu-ray to HDR in P3D. Two different animals that share the same name.

It does a decent job of improving the lighting especially in the cockpit with the sun shining on instruments. I still need to do some tweaking in v3 before I move to v4.

As for TVs your Sony (OLED?) is an excellent TV as is my Loewe Bild 7 but they are a little extravagent for simming.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@turboken, you can't compare HDR on 4K Blu-ray to HDR in P3D. Two different animals that share the same name.

It does a decent job of improving the lighting especially in the cockpit with the sun shining on instruments. I still need to do some tweaking in v3 before I move to v4.

As for TVs your Sony (OLED?) is an excellent TV as is my Loewe Bild 7 but they are a little extravagent for simming.

Very true. But wont it be nice when they are the same... Maybe another 20 years. Lol...

Whats the reason you haven't moved to V4.4? LM have really made some great progress.

Nope, the Sony rep told me OLED's have an issue with image retention and are NOT recommended for gaming.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

57 minutes ago, turboken said:

Whats the reason you haven't moved to V4.4? LM have really made some great progress.

Nope, the Sony rep told me OLED's have an issue with image retention and are NOT recommended for gaming.

I have moved to v4.4 but as I said in an earlier reply I still need v3.4 for Concorde.

I've had my Loewe Bild 7 for over 2 years now and although I don't use it for simming - just TV watching - it goes through a screen 'clean' process each night if it's been on for over 5 hours. No sign whatsoever of image retention and that includes watching channels that have quite bright rolling banner info.

They used to say the same about plasma but I never had any retention with that either. Providing you run P3D full screen I see no reason at all why OLED would be unsuitable. Just the cost that's all.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have moved to v4.4 but as I said in an earlier reply I still need v3.4 for Concorde.

ahhh.. OK..  I read something a while back where a developer was talking about making a new 64bit version of the Concorde. I wonder what ever happened with that... I would also like to see a P3D v4 compatable concorde.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

1 hour ago, turboken said:

ahhh.. OK..  I read something a while back where a developer was talking about making a new 64bit version of the Concorde. I wonder what ever happened with that... I would also like to see a P3D v4 compatable concorde.

FS Labs. They’re busy on the Airbus at present. No indication when that will finish.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Do I need a HDR monitor to use Prepar3D's HDR?

Mine monitor don't have that....

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

No. Those two things are independent from one another, so you don't need an HDR monitor to use the P3D HDR setting. Try altering the P3D setting without any monitor adjustments and you should see different lighting conditions take effect.

P3D's HDR setting is a series of lighting effects/shaders displayed purely within the sim that provides different lighting conditions whereas HDR from a monitor perspective, is related to a monitor input signal that supports HDR industry standards such as DisplayHDR 400 or DisplayHDR 600 certification which ultimately changes the contrast ratio and luminance of the displayed signal.

A combination of using both may help you, but it's the end users own choice what specific lighting conditions they prefer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Does HDR need to turned on in W11 as well , this is confusing ?? lol. P3D HDR / W11 HDR/ TV HDR 🥴

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +