Sign in to follow this  
whoispankaj

Screen resolution make any difference in xp11?

Tried lowering the resolution.. Didn't make any difference to fps... It stayed the same.i was expecting the fps to increase with lower screen resolution...

FPS increase for me if I use windowed mode and decrease the size of the window, which amounts to the same thing.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

I´m using 1600x900 instead of 1080p with my laptop because i get more FPS and the visual difference is hard to notice.

hmmm..may be I should try the windowed mode.I was in fullscreen mode. Going down from 2500x1600 to 1900x1080 didn't make a difference in full-screen mode.

It really depends on what video card you mount. Do the same with an old gpu and you'll get a massive boost 

You can kill every GPU on the market (even the newest, most expensive one) if you go to very high (too high) resolutions (like 4K, or multi-monitor) AND apply some insane AA settings. But even without "killing" the GPU, its logical that higher resolution needs more pixels to be rendered which always needs more resources from the GPU. As long as the GPU can easily push those "more" pixels, you won't see a big difference. But all GPUs have a tipping point (sometimes depending on their processing power, but more often depending on the VRAM installed) where they see a strong dip in FPS with higher resolution.

VRAM is an extremely important (and often underestimated) factor. If you exhaust it, then the GPU starts to get more RAM by "swapping" it to the main memory of your PC ... and this all needs to go trought the PCIe bus (which is much, much slower than accessing local VRAM on the GPU board). So, this is an effect, where users can see sudden FPS drop (just by going a few MBytes over their  GPUs VRAM limit) without fully understanding why it happens ...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, whoispankaj said:

Tried lowering the resolution.. Didn't make any difference to fps... It stayed the same.i was expecting the fps to increase with lower screen resolution...

This is a symptom that you are "CPU limited", that is the bottleneck in your system (at your current graphic settings) is the CPU and not the GPU

You can increase FPS (keeping the higher resolution) by lowering those sliders who affect mostly CPU, i.e. "Number of World Objects" and "Reflection Detail".

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I tried Windowed mode and got about a 3 to 5 FPS boost, which helped smoothness a little.

Well I have 4770k i7 overclocked to 4.3 GHz , Nvidia gtx 980 ti..I see improved fps in the windowed mode..Also unchecked the vsync option for windowed mode...Added another 8-10 fps...

I found with my 1440p monitor I can pull texture settings back a notch with no visible deterioration of the screen image.

Also make sure if you have an nVidia card you have Threaded Optimization turned OFF in the nVidia control panel.  And don't use nVidia Inspector -- you don't need it any longer as all controls you need are in the regular control panel at the 3D tab.

It probably depends on where your bottleneck is.  If you're maxing out your CPU then lowering resolution probably won't make much of a difference.  If your GPU is limiting performance then a resolution decrease might help.