Sign in to follow this  
19AB67

We love it! Krueger flaps retract during reverse thrust

Folks, 

have you ever noticed that after touch down and reversers open the inboard and central leading edge Krueger flaps retract, but not the outer ones? 

I have seen that first time in some YouTube 747 landing videos. 

Of course we are all fully concentrated during our own landings keeping the bird centre-line to watch this happening, 

but check it out! 

• Upvote 1

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Yup, I thought so. 

However, haven't found it yet described in the FCOM. 

Andreas Berg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

16 hours ago, MarkW said:

They did this on the original release as well (I think).

You're right, they did.

Craig Read, EGLL

5 hours ago, 19AB67 said:

Probably not something the pilots would really need to know when it comes to flying the plane since it probably won't really alter the handling characteristics of the plane at that point.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

7 hours ago, 19AB67 said:

9.20.15 in mine (not sure about the one supplied by PMDG):

During engine reverse thrust operation, automatic retraction of inboard and midspan leading edge flaps changes the flap position indicator to reflect flaps intransit.

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Probably not something the pilots would really need to know when it comes to flying the plane since it probably won't really alter the handling characteristics of the plane at that point.

However, very relevant to know in the event of a reverser fault: this led to a very alarming situation at Joburg back in 2009.

I seem to recall there has since been a modification as a result to mitigate against this, though I can't recall the details offhand at the moment.

4 hours ago, skelsey said:

During engine reverse thrust operation, automatic retraction of inboard and midspan leading edge flaps changes the flap position indicator to reflect flaps intransit.

Right, there it is mentioned. 

I think the sentence itself refers to the altenate flap indications. 

Just flying 5X58 PHNL to PGUM. I will land with alternate flaps!    8^D

Andreas Berg

16 hours ago, skelsey said:

I seem to recall there has since been a modification as a result to mitigate against this, though I can't recall the details offhand at the moment.

A small wiring modification.

When the rev thrust levers are physically moved to 10 degrees, a signal is sent to the Flap Control Units. Prior to the modification, the LE flaps were activated by the reverser stowed/unstowed position indication system (which has been troublesome in the past).

• Upvote 1

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

On 2017-04-21 at 1:57 PM, MarkW said:

They did this on the original release as well (I think).

ha!  I have the 744x for FSX installed andso will now go see.

spacer.png

On 4/22/2017 at 4:08 PM, 19AB67 said:

Right, there it is mentioned. 

I think the sentence itself refers to the altenate flap indications. 

Just flying 5X58 PHNL to PGUM. I will land with alternate flaps!    8^D

This is referring to the Flaps in the primary mode. Because part of the inboards retract on landing with reverse, the position indicator changes from green to magenta during the rollout. Not really something you are looking at while maintaining directional control and making landing call outs.

Um, how to make this visible? 

Usually we see only the combined Krueger/flap indication... 

Andreas Berg

6 minutes ago, 19AB67 said:

Um, how to make this visible? 

Usually we see only the combined Krueger/flap indication... 

I'm not sure what you mean...

As Al says, the flap position indicator goes from green (indicating all TE and LE devices are in the commanded position) to magenta (because the inboard LE flaps are/have retracted and therefore the configuration does not technically match the flap lever position) when you select reverse thrust. This happens on every landing, but you probably haven't noticed it because, as Al says, your attention is most likely elsewhere! 

On 23/04/2017 at 11:12 AM, Qavion2 said:

A small wiring modification.

When the rev thrust levers are physically moved to 10 degrees, a signal is sent to the Flap Control Units. Prior to the modification, the LE flaps were activated by the reverser stowed/unstowed position indication system (which has been troublesome in the past).

Thanks John - I knew I could count on you!