Sign in to follow this  
Sky Prince

Autorudder/Ailerons

Hello,

The introduction said to turn off autorudder. I did. But, without it, during taxi, I cannot turn left or right. The nosewheel is also not animated if autorudder is off. Why?

The ailerons are for banking. Not steering. Why does it activate while steering? 

11 hours ago, Sky Prince said:

Hello,

The introduction said to turn off autorudder. I did. But, without it, during taxi, I cannot turn left or right. The nosewheel is also not animated if autorudder is off. Why?

The ailerons are for banking. Not steering. Why does it activate while steering? 

I found this in FCOM - Nose Wheel steering Tiller. But, is it even simulated in 747-400 v3? The tiller isn't click-able.

11 hours ago, Sky Prince said:

Hello,

I think I've got this figured out.

CH14 of the FCOM - Nose Wheel steering Tiller.

1 minute ago, Captain Kevin said:

You aren't supposed to use the ailerons to turn the plane on the ground. Since the tiller isn't simulated, you'd want to turn using the rudder.

Thank you! 

I fiddled around a little bit and figured this would be the case. All along I've been taxiing using my stick, but later realised that something is wrong. Ailerons are for banking. Not steering. 

I'm currently looking into something else that will give me nose wheel steering tiller action that is separate from the rudder. Got any suggestion? 

49 minutes ago, Sky Prince said:

I'm currently looking into something else that will give me nose wheel steering tiller action that is separate from the rudder. Got any suggestion? 

I can't help you there. You may want to utilize the search function on the forum because I vaguely remember some discussion about this. Given the time constraints on my end with work and all, I just don't have time to find it for you right now.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

5 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

I can't help you there. You may want to utilize the search function on the forum because I vaguely remember some discussion about this. Given the time constraints on my end with work and all, I just don't have time to find it for you right now.

No! It's okay! I've been searching for myself. There would be no need for you to go out of your way. Thank you very much though! Appreciated! 

I use the rudder for steering in all the planes I actually fly, of course I'm not jet rated so it's second nature for me. It works, it's a simple solution.  You'll have much more difficult challenges as you learn the aircraft.  You must fly the tutorials.

Dan Downs KCRP

5 minutes ago, downscc said:

I use the rudder for steering in all the planes I actually fly, of course I'm not jet rated so it's second nature for me. It works, it's a simple solution.  You'll have much more difficult challenges as you learn the aircraft.  You must fly the tutorials.

I've flown the tutorial. Well, not all of them. 

The trouble I'm facing is bad flying habits. I've assimilated to previous aircraft and joystick functions. Transitioning away from them is proving rather difficult, especially since I'm looking in depth .