Sign in to follow this  
http404

Spoilers do not deploy on touchdown

Hello All,

I have tried looking up the forums for anyone who has a similar issue with the spoilers not deploying upon touchdown.

I always arm the speed brakes and that shows on the upper EICAS, however, they do not seem to deploy automatically as the wheels touch the ground, no matter how firm or smooth the landing is. I only hear the deployment sound of the spoilers lever when the reverse thrust is activated.

I'd like to know if this is a known issue before logging a support ticket.

Thanks,

Well I haven't gone outside to look but the spoiler lever is up after landing.  I've looked and it seems to be deployed no problem.  Something on your end.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Weird, because they immediately deploy as the "landing gear" touches the ground on the 777 and the 737NGX.

maybe there is something different in your throttle override settings compared to how you have it setup on the 777/737 ?

i use the setting that prevents the joystick level from canceling the AT because it's a small joystick and i can knock it about by accident pretty easily.

with this setting, i forgot a few times to pull my physical throttle lever back when adjusting my speed using the MCP, and if i landed with autothrottle on, this can prevent the spoilers from extending because it is immediately commanding thrust on touchdown.

lately i'm more in the habit of setting my physical throttle to whatever the autothrottle is doing, and disconnecting the auto, while still a ways out, which prevents me from messing this up, but it does work with auto-throttle all the way to landing too at least on the few times i tried it (just reduce the level to 0 while on approach and leave it).. as far as i know it works pretty similar to the other pmdg boeings so i'd suggest to look at how your settings are, compared to the ones you have it working with, and see if you notice anything.. maybe a stray key config or axis assignment in a plane specific profile could be the culprit also..  good luck!

cheers,-andy crosby

It happens every time?  I just landed at KDEN and they deployed.  I looked after the roll-out and they were up.  Can't say I ever recall having that issue with an add-on before.  Do you use FSUIPC to calibrate or adjust things?  I don't in FSX.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

1 hour ago, Orlaam said:

It happens every time?  I just landed at KDEN and they deployed.  I looked after the roll-out and they were up.  Can't say I ever recall having that issue with an add-on before.  Do you use FSUIPC to calibrate or adjust things?  I don't in FSX.

Just to confirm, do they deploy the instant the wheels touch the ground and "before" you engage the reverse thrust? The videos I've seen on youtube clearly shows that they only deploy once the reverse thrust is engaged. I also use FSUIPC to assign buttons on the yoke only.

However, Andy's comment is worth a good though:

3 hours ago, spesimen said:

maybe there is something different in your throttle override settings compared to how you have it setup on the 777/737 ?

i use the setting that prevents the joystick level from canceling the AT because it's a small joystick and i can knock it about by accident pretty easily.

with this setting, i forgot a few times to pull my physical throttle lever back when adjusting my speed using the MCP, and if i landed with autothrottle on, this can prevent the spoilers from extending because it is immediately commanding thrust on touchdown.

lately i'm more in the habit of setting my physical throttle to whatever the autothrottle is doing, and disconnecting the auto, while still a ways out, which prevents me from messing this up, but it does work with auto-throttle all the way to landing too at least on the few times i tried it (just reduce the level to 0 while on approach and leave it).. as far as i know it works pretty similar to the other pmdg boeings so i'd suggest to look at how your settings are, compared to the ones you have it working with, and see if you notice anything.. maybe a stray key config or axis assignment in a plane specific profile could be the culprit also..  good luck!

cheers,-andy crosby

I always land the 747 with A/T off, and probably due to a higher level of fidelity in the PMDG 74, spoilers are not activated as I close the thrust levers to idle, not being 100% idle at the time of touchdown. I will assign one of the buttons to the F1 key through FSUIPC to repeat while held to see if that would make any difference.

Thanks

3 hours ago, http404 said:

The videos I've seen on youtube clearly shows that they only deploy once the reverse thrust is engaged.

Start from 43:16 in this video, and you will now see one where they deploy despite thrust reversers not being deployed.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Captain Kevin, thanks for this.

I have assigned the button assignment for reverse thrust on my throttle quadrant to the F1 Key to continuously hold the F1 while pressed, and that seemed to deploy the spoilers.

Well again, that's not how it is with the 777 and the NGX, however, I will be able to live with that :)

Thanks guys for the inputs!

/A 

General Boeing 727-737-747-777-787 spoiler logic :

1. Spoilers armed + ground sensing
2. Spoilers not armed + reversers +ground sensing
3. Spoilers not armed no use of reverers so you must move manual the spoiler lever.
Simple logic

Regards
Jo va Bra

• Upvote 1

The spoilers definitely deploy for me.  They do seem to deploy fractionally slower than on the 737 or 777 though.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the inputs. And just an update, the spoilers do actually deploy, and the reason I thought they don't is simple: They are deployed 1 and a half seconds (roughly) after the actual touch down. I decided not to activate reversers to see what actually happens, and the spoilers were deployed!

It doesn't take me that long to activate the reverse thrust which, in fact, activates the spoilers.

There could be an area of improvement for PMDG to consider for the next update.

Thanks!

My spoilers are just deploying the half way, like in flight after touchdown. I have no idea why...