Sign in to follow this  
jcpg

Installing FSX after replacing Processor/Mobo.

Hi,  I'm replacing  my mobo and processor. Mobo broke and the socket was old and not made anymore.

So, I'll have to re install Windows,    FSX     and   all addons, mainly pmdg, milvis, aerosoft, etc planes,  and  sceneries, even if everything is on a SSD? 

Will   FSX simulation  install without problems even if it's reading a new Pc, mobo and processor? 

Please can you guys in the know and with experience on this assist me here?

thanks a lot in advance.

John.

I just went through the process in January.  FSX/Acceleration (or SP2) will have to be reinstalled as you have new hardware.  I had no problems reactivating FSX (it was almost instant) but got an error on reinstalling Acceleration.  The install would not complete - see my comments at the following link -

Got it fixed but it was not routine.  I have a feeling Windows 10 had something to do with it as Windows 10 has more security because more and more users complain that Microsoft should fix their security problems.  You want security?  We'll give you security!  (my humble opinion).

Make sure you have UAC disabled before installing and any anti-virus/anti-malware program you might have installed (includes Windows Defender), is configured so that it will not scan the drive where you are installing FSX.  After installing you can allow scanning again.  Most likely you would not have an issue with it turned on for FSX but any add-ons Windows might think those old files are viruses.

I would be interested in knowing how well your installation went.  If an activation failed, you might want to think about going to FSX-SE or P3D.  I understand from some you Microsoft employees will still attempt to activate your product if it ran out of the number of activations. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, I am just going down that road. I have just finished building a new PC. I have two new copies of Flight Simulator Gold edition so I thought I would be covered for FSX installation on the new PC . However, whilst I got FSX itself activated I always got am error when it came time to activate Acceleration. A search on the net indicated that the activation error code I was getting was well known and there are many reasons for it so that was not very helpful. I tried ringing the MS help desk but no-one had heard of FSX and finally transferred me to a none existent Windows team.

I realised that one advantage SE had (that I hadn't thought of before) was that it is hardware independent. So I decided to bite the bullet and go the SE route. I grabbed a couple of very useful FSX to FSXSE "How too's" from FS insider. Then started the build on the new PC and then the transfer of data from my old FSX installation. I will be starting serious FSXSE testing today. 

If I ever want to upgrade my PC again then there will be no need to worry about reinstalling FSX.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Solved my activation issue. If i remember correctly my  w10 had lower case p and m - once I changed them to upper case activaion went through.

John

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. That fix didn't work for me because my registry was just fine as it should be. A search of the web revealed that the registry error is not always the culprit. That was my issue I got surrounded by so many different reasons for that error. Then I formed the view  that the FSXSE options would be the least frustrating option especially when considering the possibility of future PC upgrades.

Last time I upgraded my PC I rang the MS phone number and got a new activation key for my original install. Not this time around. They hadn't heard of FSX let alone fixing me up with a new Install key.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:23 PM, hippyonenine said:

Solved my activation issue. If i remember correctly my  w10 had lower case p and m - once I changed them to upper case activaion went through.

John

Yes, that is what was stated in the link I provided (except MINE was to an AVSIM site and the member at "the other site" probably got his info from the AVSIM Forums :laugh:).

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, yellowjack said:

Last time I upgraded my PC I rang the MS phone number and got a new activation key for my original install. Not this time around. They hadn't heard of FSX let alone fixing me up with a new Install key.

Interesting.  The MS phone number has never ever worked for me.  I think those who run out of activations now will be out of luck.  I only have FSX installed to troubleshoot other member issues.  My sim for now and in the future is P3D.

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi guys, 

Thanks for the help guys .   Jim when I install FSX  I'll let you know the 'results'.  I might need more help, lol.

I'm getting a I5 processor. All I know is that I should get one end in 'K', as it is overclockable. But the sales guy advises me to get I5 6600. My question is now which three  I5 processors should be better for FS?   I read a lot about I5 4670,  6500, 6600. Getting a bit confused.

As for  the SSD, as it is, should keep everything as it was before the changes, right? 

Please advise.

Thanks in advance guys.

John

3 hours ago, jcpg said:

I'm getting a I5 processor. All I know is that I should get one end in 'K', as it is overclockable. But the sales guy advises me to get I5 6600.

According to the following website, the i5 6600K was superseded by the i5 7600K for about the same price - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/3647vs3503.  The 'K' factor makes it overclockable but will you overclock?  Also, I have found little or no performance improvements with an overclocked system (I currently have mine at 5.0GHz).  According to the following link though, there should be some major performance improvements but I really see little in flight simulation (I use conservative config settings and rarely max out a slider) - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700/3647vs3887.

In any case, I like the sites in the links I provided but also the following - http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K.  When you are trying to compare apples and oranges, these sites help.  Plus they give you advice on Motherboards and Memory and stuff like that. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

Ok I do agree that overclocking is a bit of a different ball game. It would require better cooling and I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible. There's a difference of about  $55 between the I5 6600 and 6600K.   I wonder if it's worth it. But the K is better.  Will see.

Also, help me here pls.;   1) Should the moterboard be a gaming one?  A friend told me it doesn't make much of a difference.

2) Will the ssd  keep everything as it was before I changed the processor and mobo?  All planes and scenery addons?

In advance, thanks for the time and help.

John

I agree with your friend.  I think the word "gaming" is just another gimmick.  They are made for the "power" users who plan on doing a lot of overclocking.  Most people play games on computers so there is a large demand.  For flight simulation, the most important components are the CPU, the GPU, and memory (priority in that order). 

You can get a superfast gaming system or components on E-Bay as many people upgrade to the latest and greatest and sell their old stuff.

The SSD will not change its files when you change the CPU and MB.  All planes and scenery addons will remain.  However, you will have to reinstall the main application (FSX, P3D) as your system has changed and the products will have to be reactivated.  This goes for any commercial addons like PMDG aircraft too as their software security will see things have changed.  If this were not the case, then one could buy and setup FSX with all of the commercial addons then copy the SSD and sell it to friends and family.  Commercial developers are only protecting their intellectual property and rightly so.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the good info. Will see what I can get.

John

Recently had to reinstall FSX/Acceleration after a crash issue that only a reinstall would solve.

Initially, encountered problems with activation failing, and wondered if Microsoft had simply pulled the plug on reactivation of the boxed version of FSX.  Checked out activation issues on AVSIM and other sources, and found out that when installing in Windows 7/64 bit, Windows had installed FSX in XP compatibility mode. By unchecking compatibility mode, the activation then proceeded without a hitch.

Rich

Hi guys,

Jim, here is some feedback on the issue of re-installing FSX due to a change of MB and processor. Ok I ended up getting a I5 7600,  a Mb(not even a gaming one!) and a  gtx1050/2Gig.   It keeps fps on non demanding aircraft on 50/100fps. On demanding aircraft/scenery about 18/35+fps constant. I'm running fsx/8gb corsair/W7. I'm not even using any booster accelarator.

Luckily, I managed to use the old operating system and kept my fsx planes and scenery completely on the ssd. When re-installing fsx I just had to use the accelaration code, as you said, and in seconds all worked well, surprisingly. All planes worked properly. On PMDG planes I had to re-activate. So, the new set up, when flying, is very smooth. Really nice, at least on my rig. Note that the processor is not the 'K' and the graphics card not the 'ti'.  Lower prices and still  good fps. The sales guy advised me on this and he was right.

On the second day, pmdg 747 V3, has an issue. When I load it, it does not start the initiation steps. It sort of freezes, although it worked well straight after re-activation. Only the 747 V3. All others ok.  I guess has nothing to do with the fsx re-installation. I've repaired, removed and re-installed, but no joy.  Might be an activation problem, although I did it. Ngx and T7 work right.  I might have to contact pmdg support.

So, for the guys with a limited budget this set up works well, not very cheap though. Beware of fake, cheap processors on the market. It's flooded with them.

Thanks for all the issistance.

john Goncalves