Sign in to follow this  
jhelix70

Which new sim to get started on?

Hello All,

I am just getting back into flight simming, so I dug out my old boxed FSX/acceleration and reinstalled.  Love the content on AVSIM so far!

Here's my question.  How should I get my sim up to date?

1. Stick with FSX and get 3rd party add ons to make it look fresher

2. Get FSX steam edition

3. Move to x-plane version 11

4. Move to Prepar3d version 3

5. Wait for Prepar3d version 4 or dovetail's new sim?

I appreciate realism in flight models, visuals, and systems.

Thanks!

Right now flight sim is a mess, in a sense that the majority is still based on FSX in its many regurgitated forms.

The only 'fresh' one is X-plane 11, which is a great leap forward in visuals, stability and frame rates, but lacks in many areas, like AI, ATC and most importantly weather.

The question you have to ask yourself is, which compromises you can live with.

Don't count on Dovetail, I honestly think they are not up to the task.

P3D4 might be something to look forward to, we will see.....

My 2 cents worth

• Upvote 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I am sticking with FSX:SE until a year or so after P3D 4.0 is released and STABLE. Since it's a new sim, I expect 3rd party developer addons and the sim itself to have many faults, and I know eventually it will all run smoothly. 

• Upvote 1

Get XP11: After the free demo, it's "only" a 60$ investment and it flies beautifully out of the box and has amazing freeware. You really dont have to invest more $ into it to enjoy it. Once P3Dv4 has been released you can still evaluate your options on where to put the big $$$ long term.

Go with option 1.

Add Orbx FTX Global for a fresh look.

Decide on which airplane you would most like to fly and get the best payware rendition you can find.

Example GA aircraft:

a2a Cherokee or Comanche with Flight1 GTN750

Example airliner:

PMDG 737NG

and go fly!!!

• Upvote 1

Bert

Just keep in mind XPlane and MS:FS are completely different. I personally feel I'd have to re-learn all my techniques when I flew the XP11 Demo. 

• Upvote 1

While I'm not going to promote any sim, be aware that both versions of FSX and its Steam sibling FSX-SE have fairly extensive weather including real weather and seasonal changes along with a huge volume of after market aircraft. However, for the best immersion you should add a 3rd party weather engine. X-Plane does not have seasons (or accurate weather from what I've heard) at present but I understand the flight dynamics are very good. Prepar3d is basically an improved FSX at possibly a substantial price increase over either of the aforementioned sims.

Whichever sim you choose, you might find it more immersive with 3rd party add-ons like scenery, aircraft, and weather.

Personally, I've stuck with FSX or FSX-SE since day one of its' release. I've tried some others, but keep plodding along. I also have Microsoft Flight which is very limited and also DTG's Flight School which is fun to play around with.

So in summary, you will just have to research the pluses and minuses of each and go from there.

Good Luck.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals