Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

HDD to SSD - Disappointment

I keep hearing how FSX loads much faster from a SSD as opposed to a HDD.
Well - I am very dissapointed as just today I had my computer tech shop insatll a Samsung SSD and cloned evrything from HDD to SSD - everything was successful and everything works - no problems at all.

Then came my moment of disappointment - when I loaded my default saved flight that I always use and has been used for all my bench mark testing - the load time was exactly the same as before - I don't get it.

Could it be that I have tweaked my FSX.CFG so well that the SSD did not make a difference?
The only difference I have noticed is the the actual laptop boot up - that is so much quicker.

Any thoughts or wise words of wisdom?

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

You're not likely to see blazing speeds, but one thing I learned with my Samsung SSD was that for it to run at advertised speeds I needed to have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app installed.

To see if it's needed run the Samsung Magician performance benchmark.    

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

32 minutes ago, airernie said:

You're not likely to see blazing speeds, but one thing I learned with my Samsung SSD was that for it to run at advertised speeds I needed to have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app installed.

To see if it's needed run the Samsung Magician performance benchmark.    

Ernie

Thanks Ernie, I will run that utility and I do have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app installed.

Regards, Dane

Good, then you're ahead of the game.  

I didn't have it installed the first time I ran the benchmark and was really bummed by the results.  

Ernest Pergrem

3 minutes ago, airernie said:

Good, then you're ahead of the game.  

I didn't have it installed the first time I ran the benchmark and was really bummed by the results.  

I don't see where or how to run the 'Benchmark'

Regards, Dane

Do you have the Samsung Magician 4 app?  It came with my Samsung 850 EVO.  Of course, if someone else installed the drive they may not have installed the app, or one didn't come with your drive due to compatibility.

It's available here if you want it.  The link contains the drives that it applies to.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

The only difference I have noticed is the the actual laptop boot up - that is so much quicker.

Any thoughts or wise words of wisdom?

Do you only have one drive (C:) in your system?

If Windows boots up quicker, then the SSD is doing its job.

Could it be that FSX is on a separate drive??

Bert

19 minutes ago, airernie said:

Do you have the Samsung Magician 4 app?  It came with my Samsung 850 EVO.  Of course, if someone else installed the drive they may not have installed the app, or one didn't come with your drive due to compatibility.

It's available here if you want it.  The link contains the drives that it applies to.

Ernie

I already had the same version as what is on the Samsung link. I ran it and the only thing questionable is "Rapid Mode - Not Supported".

I will read the user manual and see what that is all. Other Modes appear to be OKVFgUmirtaA_qLDF5dYhE30Hk0OEAc9uYXzmyP7cDabout.

Regards, Dane

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Do you only have one drive (C:) in your system?

If Windows boots up quicker, then the SSD is doing its job.

Could it be that FSX is on a separate drive??

Hi Bert, Absolutely everything was cloned to the new SSD C: Drive.

The old HDD drive (now D:) is empty

Regards, Dane

Then came my moment of disappointment - when I loaded my default saved flight that I always use and has been used for all my bench mark testing - the load time was exactly the same as before - I don't get it.

It is faster when you load FSX.  How do you benchmark the loading times?  The fsuipc utility shows system time at startup and again when you get to the setup screen and select the aircraft you want, it will show the system time again but you haven't even loaded to the flight session yet.  It will not increase performance while flying.  Just at startup and the startup times may vary depending on the scenario you are loading.  Photoscenery and Orbx scenery take longer than the default.  I wish SSD's provided better performance during flights but, if it does, it is not noticeable.  I still use my old HDD's for FSX/P3D as there is little or no difference in performance during the flight.

I also have one of the fastest, if not the fastest, SSD produced for consumers to date... the Samsung 960 EVO M2 1TB - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-960-evo-m-2-1tb-nvme-ssd-review,1.html.  Windows 10 sits on the 500GB version and FSX/P3D sits on the 1TB version.  Thought I would get all kinds of performance with this new tech but notta...

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Something isn't right with the SSD install, Dane.  Samsung Magician (v. 5 as shown in your screenshot above) does indeed support Rapid Mode with your 850 EVO M.2.  And to clarify... are you also unable to benchmark the SSD in Magician?  If so, you should take it all back to your computer shop and have them sort it.

HTH,

Greg

I will read the user manual and see what that is all. Other Modes appear to be OK

Dane,

You received the same 'drive is not supported' that I got when I just tried the software.

I was able to eliminate the message by clicking on the circle with the two arrows in the top left corner.  That did a second search which yield a drive found and prompt to upgrade the firmware.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

UGH!  I tried v.5 but didn't care for it... went back to 4.9.7.  But 5 did see both my 850 and 840 PRO's.  Hopefully all Dane needs to do is follow your suggestion and he'll be set.

Greg

Maybe your system is very CPU bound... and you are not getting any more load performance by speeding up the I/O subsystem.  That is OK, you have done what you can.. the SSD will still help in the background and your whole system will be faster and quieter... :cool:

Bert

4 hours ago, Jim Young said:

It is faster when you load FSX.  How do you benchmark the loading times?  The fsuipc utility shows system time at startup and again when you get to the setup screen and select the aircraft you want, it will show the system time again but you haven't even loaded to the flight session yet.  It will not increase performance while flying.  Just at startup and the startup times may vary depending on the scenario you are loading.  Photoscenery and Orbx scenery take longer than the default.  I wish SSD's provided better performance during flights but, if it does, it is not noticeable.  I still use my old HDD's for FSX/P3D as there is little or no difference in performance during the flight.

I also have one of the fastest, if not the fastest, SSD produced for consumers to date... the Samsung 960 EVO M2 1TB - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-960-evo-m-2-1tb-nvme-ssd-review,1.html.  Windows 10 sits on the 500GB version and FSX/P3D sits on the 1TB version.  Thought I would get all kinds of performance with this new tech but notta...

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim. First let me say that I did not know that FSUIPC had a bench marking feature (every week I learn something new about FSUIPC).

My testing was probably not very scientific but it was always consistent.

1. Always used my saved default flight (airport and aircraft).

2. Always had Active Sky Next loaded first as well as ChasePlane - nothing else.

3. Stopwatch timed from moment "Fly Now" was pressed and stopped the moment saved airport loaded.

4. Even monitored FPS for one minute and noted results.

I used this method when testing out different FSX.CFG settings to determine the impact on loading. Even though I purchased ORBX PNW I uninstalled it as it simply takes too long to load as well as other ORBX products. I have found some really great 3rd party scenery that is more than adequate and does not affect load times or FPS.

Regards, Dane