Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

HDD to SSD - Disappointment

4 hours ago, airernie said:

Dane,

You received the same 'drive is not supported' that I got when I just tried the software.

I was able to eliminate the message by clicking on the circle with the two arrows in the top left corner.  That did a second search which yield a drive found and prompt to upgrade the firmware.

Ernie

I did that as well Ernie but it said my firmware was up to date.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

2 hours ago, lownslo said:

UGH!  I tried v.5 but didn't care for it... went back to 4.9.7.  But 5 did see both my 850 and 840 PRO's.  Hopefully all Dane needs to do is follow your suggestion and he'll be set.

Greg

I thought I would uninstall ver. 5 and load up ver 4.9.7.

Strange thing - ver. 4.9.7 supports my 850 EVO and also allows me to enable Rapid Mode, which I did. Then did my usual FSX load with no difference in load times.

So as Bert said earlier maybe my system is at it's peak. I don't get it because I just purchased this MSI GP62-6QF with NVidia GTX960M in December. Oh well it could be worse, I could be back with my five year old Dell system.

I just was hoping for a faster load so I could utilize some of the ORBX products, but they just bog my loads down too much.

Regards, Dane

35 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Does 4.9.7 allow you to benchmark the drive?

Regards,

Greg

Yes it does...

CK_cmGx0KtIdIh-bhEoYwkDa7WhyVFYtPeyARhsg

TanU-vD71MzD2oOQQpOP_dLHH5DS-wqwZv_KYUsH

Regards, Dane

I got a 960 EVO M.2 a few months ago and its blazing fast. Windows pops up in 10sec or less, P3D loads in about 30sec to the startup screen and then its another 30-40sec to get to the cockpit. No difference in FPS obviously but what I did notice is my stutters have been greatly reduced and if any, they are alot quicker. 

You should see noticeable improvement in load up times coming from an old HDD for anything. I fixed my mothers laptop which had an old HDD to an SDD and the difference was night and day. Be sure you MB has the latest bios though. Your performance looks about right for that drive according to the benchmark. 

Perhaps go to http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/ and compare what others are getting with the exact specs. Theres always bound to be someone who has same components as a reference. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I also have a 500 GB Samsung SSD EVO and SamsungMagician also tells that Rapid Mode is not supported. (I have refreshed in the upper left corner).

Did you find how to clear this issue?

Thanks!  

Edmundo Azevedo

13 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

I already had the same version as what is on the Samsung link. I ran it and the only thing questionable is "Rapid Mode - Not Supported".

I will read the user manual and see what that is all. Other Modes appear to be OKVFgUmirtaA_qLDF5dYhE30Hk0OEAc9uYXzmyP7cDabout.

Are you using SATA 6 GB/S cable?
Some motherboard vendors, ASUS, GIGABYTE, provide optimized cables for their boards, they are rated 6 GB/S and are physically slightly different from other "generic" SATA cables.
I went through this with my Intel SSD drive, when I started to use correct cable there was improvement, not only in FSX load time, boot also improved. (Boot improvement was better noticed in Windows 7).

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

7 hours ago, ega said:

I also have a 500 GB Samsung SSD EVO and SamsungMagician also tells that Rapid Mode is not supported. (I have refreshed in the upper left corner).

Did you find how to clear this issue?

Thanks!  

I uninstalled ver 5 and googled SamsungMagician 4.9.7, downloaded it from techspot.com https://www.google.ca/search?q=samsung+magician+4.97&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source}&ie=UTF-8&oe=&rlz=1I7ADRA_enCA483&gfe_rd=cr&ei=5t38WIqxL_Ds8we-n4gwand ran it and it recognizes the drive - I don't quite understand how an older version recognizes and the newer version does not.

After installing it wants to update to ver 5 I said NO.

Regards, Dane

6 hours ago, Dumont said:

Are you using SATA 6 GB/S cable?
Some motherboard vendors, ASUS, GIGABYTE, provide optimized cables for their boards, they are rated 6 GB/S and are physically slightly different from other "generic" SATA cables.
I went through this with my Intel SSD drive, when I started to use correct cable there was improvement, not only in FSX load time, boot also improved. (Boot improvement was better noticed in Windows 7).

João Alfredo

M.2 SSD's do not use cables.  They are just plugged into the MB.

4 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

I uninstalled ver 5 and googled SamsungMagician 4.9.7, downloaded it from techspot.com

I will probably have to go back to a previous version too.  With Magician 5.0 I was seeing that I had the latest firmware and drivers and then all of a sudden see "This drive is not supported".  I see on the Magician site (http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html) they have firmware for my M.2 to "improve compatibility and stability" so will try to update the firmware and see if this fixes the problem.  Had to update my ASUS Z270 BIOS to allow for the BIOS to change the PCIE to X4. I also saw on the samsung site they just updated the drivers.  Still get "This drive is not supported" and that is obviously wrong info.  For me it was working fine until you brought this to my attention via your topic.  Perhaps a Windows Update?  Will go back to the previous version until 5.0 is fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

4 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

M.2 SSD's do not use cables.  They are just plugged into the MB.

I will probably have to go back to a previous version too.  With Magician 5.0 I was seeing that I had the latest firmware and drivers and then all of a sudden see "This drive is not supported".  I see on the Magician site (http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html) they have firmware for my M.2 to "improve compatibility and stability" so will try to update the firmware and see if this fixes the problem.  Had to update my ASUS Z270 BIOS to allow for the BIOS to change the PCIE to X4. I also saw on the samsung site they just updated the drivers.  Still get "This drive is not supported" and that is obviously wrong info.  For me it was working fine until you brought this to my attention via your topic.  Perhaps a Windows Update?  Will go back to the previous version until 5.0 is fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

All interesting what you are reporting Jim. It could be a Windows update as Windows did a major update last week on my system, but at that time I did not have the SSD installed.

Please keep us posted. On Monday I am going to go back to my computer tech shop and see what they have to say.

Regards, Dane

I disabled SATA ports 5 and 6 (as those cannot be used) and seeing a dramatic increase in Windows startup.   I also upgraded from 4.9.7 to 5.0 and just overwrote the old installation.  It "sees" my M.2 okay and allowed a benchmark but it still says "Drive Not Supported" and does not give me firmware info, driver info, etc.  So progress is being made.  I have checked my BIOS manual and have the proper BIOS settings.  For me, under Onboard Devices Configuration, the M.2.1 Config must be set to PCIE mode and the M.2.2 PCIe Bandwidth Config is set to [X4] (Run at X4 mode for Higher Performance with SATA6G_56 disabled). 

I just refreshed Samsung Magician and all of a sudden it sees the drives and there is no longer any "This is not supported".  It is showing all of the configuration -

Samsung Config.PNG

I think what happened in my case is that Windows automatically reconfigured my drives based on my BIOS settings and why Magician is working again.  Good luck with getting your setup working.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim I will take all of this to my tech guy on Monday

Regards, Dane

Dane, this might be of help with your tech guy too.  I just checked my wife's Lenovo Thinkpad that I fitted a 850 Pro into two years ago.  Using Magician 4.9.7 this laptop benched the Sequential Read at 564MB/s, Sequential Write at 529MB/s, Random Read at 59579 IOPS, and Random Write at 60045 IOPS... all much better from a computer that has a 2.2GHz i7 3xxx series, on chip graphics, and 8GB of DDR3L 1600 memory.  This is a working computer, not a gaming system... yet her SSD delivers much better performance than yours (and Samsung themselves show that you should be getting at least 500MB/s from your EVO M.2).

Hope this helps and good luck,

Greg

31 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Dane, this might be of help with your tech guy too.  I just checked my wife's Lenovo Thinkpad that I fitted a 850 Pro into two years ago.  Using Magician 4.9.7 this laptop benched the Sequential Read at 564MB/s, Sequential Write at 529MB/s, Random Read at 59579 IOPS, and Random Write at 60045 IOPS... all much better from a computer that has a 2.2GHz i7 3xxx series, on chip graphics, and 8GB of DDR3L 1600 memory.  This is a working computer, not a gaming system... yet her SSD delivers much better performance than yours (and Samsung themselves show that you should be getting at least 500MB/s from your EVO M.2).

Hope this helps and good luck,

Greg

Thanks Greg, this is great info...

Regards, Dane

Thanks Dane. I installed Magician 4.9.7 and now it is OK!

Edmundo Azevedo