Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Good water textures for 1x setting?

Getting sick of the OOM limit and moving my water slider down to 1x high. What are good water textures for 1x? Rex only look good in my opinion when 2x medium or high. I am running DX9

I dunno about these but I saw this video on free FSX addons by Matt Davies : 

Skip to 4:02 and there is a thing called "FS Water Configurator"

I will not know if you will be satisfied by the quality, but for me it looks nice and it doesn't hit fps as you expect it to

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

Getting sick of the OOM limit and moving my water slider down to 1x high. What are good water textures for 1x? Rex only look good in my opinion when 2x medium or high. I am running DX9

How much VAS have you saved by turn the water slider down to 1x high? I wouldn't think it would make much difference.

I've been running mine at I think it 2x low or med, can't remember but the one that doesn't show water reflections and never had a VAS issue or OOM and I use the usual high VAS suspects like most popular PMDG planes, adding airports, etc.

What sized water textures are you using? I have the REX Sparkling at 512 Dtx and haven't had issues, but then again I don't use any textures over 1024 for any planes, scenery, clouds, etc., so that might explain why I have no issues.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

13 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

How much VAS have you saved by turn the water slider down to 1x high? I wouldn't think it would make much difference.

I've been running mine at I think it 2x low or med, can't remember but the one that doesn't show water reflections and never had a VAS issue or OOM and I use the usual high VAS suspects like most popular PMDG planes, adding airports, etc.

What sized water textures are you using? I have the REX Sparkling at 512 Dtx and haven't had issues, but then again I don't use any textures over 1024 for any planes, scenery, clouds, etc., so that might explain why I have no issues.

512 for all enviro textures rex4 and as16. trying to save a few hundred extra space because the pmdg 747 uses 300mb more than the 777 on my fsx steam. and I've moved autogen to sparse and still need to save more.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:55 AM, cmpbellsjc said:

Dropping to 1x high has saved me hundreds of mb in vas, making it possible to fly in OpenLC Europe/America and land at big airports like FT EHAM in the PMDG 747. I am still using DX9 and it has horrible vas management.

6 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Dropping to 1x high has saved me hundreds of mb in vas, making it possible to fly in OpenLC Europe/America and land at big airports like FT EHAM in the PMDG 747. I am still using DX9 and it has horrible vas management.

That's the funny thing about FSX and our individual setups. I just got the 747 last week and have flown it almost every night after work into "heavy" airports, also using FTX Global and  OpenLC Eu/NA but haven't had any VAS issues so far keeping my water at 2x low.

I don't have FT EHAM, but have flown it to T2G LFPG, DD Baku, UK2000 EGLL, LatinVFR LEBL and numerous other airports and the lowest remaining VAS I had left over was 750,000 MB at LFPG. I resized my PMDG exterior textures to 1024 and also the same at EGLL but haven't resized the ones from LFPG yet since I need to run their latest installer with updates.

At least for you running lower water has solved your VAS issues for now.

I'm also on DX9 as I haven't even purchased the DX10 fixer tool only because I don't have the energy to learn how to set it up and wonder what airports might not work well in DX10 mode. Plus since I've never had an OOM I'm not to concerned about saving more VAS.

28 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

That's the funny thing about FSX and our individual setups. I just got the 747 last week and have flown it almost every night after work into "heavy" airports, also using FTX Global and  OpenLC Eu/NA but haven't had any VAS issues so far keeping my water at 2x low.

I don't have FT EHAM, but have flown it to T2G LFPG, DD Baku, UK2000 EGLL, LatinVFR LEBL and numerous other airports and the lowest remaining VAS I had left over was 750,000 MB at LFPG. I resized my PMDG exterior textures to 1024 and also the same at EGLL but haven't resized the ones from LFPG yet since I need to run their latest installer with updates.

At least for you running lower water has solved your VAS issues for now.

I'm also on DX9 as I haven't even purchased the DX10 fixer tool only because I don't have the energy to learn how to set it up and wonder what airports might not work well in DX10 mode. Plus since I've never had an OOM I'm not to concerned about saving more VAS.

Same thinking here regarding DX10. My VAS issues are near LAX if I have Orbx Socal activated, and at FT EHAM. I use no AI traffic and fly with 512 environment textures. Re-sizing exterior 747 textures might work for me so I can move water up to 2x I'll look into that. What is the easiest way to do that? Thanks for the help.

10 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Re-sizing exterior 747 textures might work for me so I can move water up to 2x I'll look into that. What is the easiest way to do that? Thanks for the help.

I don't have Photoshop so I use the freeware GIMP program with DXTBmp to do the resizing. Basically you open the texture in DXTBmp then send the texture to GIMP, resize and save, import it back to DXTBmp. Then send the alpha texture to GIMP, resize and save and reimport to DXTBmp and then save and overwrite the original texture. Make sure to make backups of the original in case you make a mistake.

There might be other easier ways to do it using batching and such, but I always do my aircraft and airports one texture at a time since they can vary from DXT5, DXT3, or DXT1 and I want to view each texture individually to make sure it gets the proper compression. If you batch convert stuff you run the risk of turning DXT1 files into DXT3,5 or visa versa, and making a mess of things.

• Upvote 1