Sign in to follow this  
saywhuut0627

Xplane 11 Advice

I currently have the i5 4670k, 16gb ram, and gtx 1070 and at 1080p resolution 144hz.  I would like to switch to xplane 11. Can I expect nice smooth flying with reasonable settings?  If I would like to be even more "right heavy" on the graphics settings what would I need to upgrade the most?

Really appreciate the help.

You should.

However, you can try the demo for yourself in the Seattle area and see how your pc handles it :)

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

If set right and balanced based on your hardware, definitely yes, you should.

For $60 you get XP10 and XP11, a bargain if you ask me.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

It depends on whether you're CPU or GPU limited.

Set up a typical flight using your preferred graphic settings, then press CTRL+SHIFT+F and take a look at the FPS (f-act).

If increasing or decreasing the "Number of World Objects" (in the graphics settings) decreases or increases your FPS, then you're probably CPU bound, and you should benefit from a faster CPU.

If decreasing screen resolution increases your FPS, then you're GPU bound, and you should benefit from a faster GPU.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

..I'm running a Rig with the same spec as you, the right setup /tweak will get you great performance, bear in mind, upgrading is a tedious Sisyphus process, for some reason, the trend is to give you the feeling that you always lagging behind when it comes to upgrade/ performance  ..... define your priorities and expectations and you will notice that both you and your Credit Card account manager are in peace.

Cheers

Yair  

Guest JustanotherPilot

More than enough, I'm running it on an i7-2600 with a GTX960 card, 16gig ram and it's smooth as. I'm finding  XP11 runs better on this setup that XP10 ever did. Video slider settings are set at about 3/4.It seems to have a better harmony with the CPU.

Thank you all very much.  One variable I should've thrown in.  What about adding add ons such as real time weather - heavy clouds etc?

9 minutes ago, saywhuut0627 said:

Thank you all very much.  One variable I should've thrown in.  What about adding add ons such as real time weather - heavy clouds etc?

It's hard to predict, because it can go either way. In general, I've found the SkyMaxx Pro weather plugin to be a little more framerate friendly than default XP11 clouds, but that's with the default settings. If you use the cloud puffs for overcast and extend the range so it looks more realistic, it will lower the frame rate. if you use the solid overcast look instead, it raises the frame rate. 

The XEnviro plugin's current version uses 2D clouds which are framerate friendly, but IIRC they're moving to more use of 3D models in the next update, which they've said will probably cause a slight reduction in framerate. And of course with either of these plugins, if you're using real weather injection you're at the mercy of how thick the clouds are at the nearest METAR reporting site.

So I don't think it's easy to say what the results will be on your system. You just have to try these plugins and see how they work.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

On 4/23/2017 at 7:13 AM, Murmur said:

It depends on whether you're CPU or GPU limited.

Set up a typical flight using your preferred graphic settings, then press CTRL+SHIFT+F and take a look at the FPS (f-act).

If increasing or decreasing the "Number of World Objects" (in the graphics settings) decreases or increases your FPS, then you're probably CPU bound, and you should benefit from a faster CPU.

If decreasing screen resolution increases your FPS, then you're GPU bound, and you should benefit from a faster GPU.

Very Useful Info.

Best display settings: set antialiasing to minimum with a 4K resolution, everything else to max. Use DSR to achieve 4K if you are using a 1080p display.

To the OP, the best advice you got here, after reading through all of the responses, is the one from Francesco.  You have nothing to lose by downloading the demo.  Install it and try it out.  Experiment with the settings to "dial in" the right combination that provides acceptable framerates and smooth operation.  Everyone's system setup is different, and with that, everyone will experience different results.  What works for one person, may not work for you.  This type of discussion has been played out for every single simulator that exists, and I firly believe that anyone has asked this question, had still be left with a lot of confusion.  For whatever advice you get from anyone, you take it with a grain of salt, and not canon or biblical because of the same reason I posted above...your system may react and operate differently from someone else's.

It is also important to note that while Parafin commented that "it's hard to predict", when it comes to adding on additional content to XP, your results will diminish.  This holds true for the other simulators out there, because when LR released their required and recommended hardware list, it was based off of the core simulator.  Understand that if you get fantastic performance from XP, with all default, then that is your baseline.  When you start to add detailed scenery, weather and aircraft, those fantastic numbers will change.

One last thought, since XP is now final, it doesn't mean that they aren't done optimizing, adding on to, or fixing issues with the simulator.  We are still waiting for a patch release, which hopefully addresses some the current issues that many of us are facing.  This doesn't mean that XP is not usable right now, it's just an FYI that if you experience issues with XP, it may not be just your system that is at fault.

My own personal advice is to stay informed, if you decide to work with XP.  There are other sources of information out there that can be extremely helpful in getting the right information from the right people.

You can follow Ben Supnik's Blog here: http://developer.x-plane.com/

You can pop over to the Org, for not only the freeware and payware, but their forum has a lot of useful information as well: http://forums.x-plane.org/

If you need some quick answers, and not wanting to go through forums, there is the XP Q&A: http://questions.x-plane.com/

And finally, if you experience a bug, that truly is a bug, XP wants to know about it: http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

I hope this helps provide clarification for you, and again, if ever need to discuss aspects of the sim, or perhaps some discoveries you've made, feel free to come back to this forum.

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit