Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Q400 startup problems

Hi Kevin,

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

To be honest, I don't have the time to exhaustively test to find out, renovating a house and working full time with 2 children under 3 does not lend itself to technological experimentation ;)

Yes, it's all too easy for us old codgers to see such time consuming activities and responsibilities as distant memories. Priorities change as you grow older 😀.

I think it has more to do with the resident DirectX/OpenGL APIs. If an application, whether it be a Game or Simulation, has been optimised to take advantage of, say, DirectX 11 then it doesn't matter much that it is running on Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10. The latter has DirectX 12 which, maintains backwards compatibility with DirectX 9,10 and 11. I would assume that the relevant API components are the same and provide the optimised direct link with hardware which might remain unchanged from one build to the next. The rest depends on software design and hardware driver coding revisions to make the most efficient use of what is available while accessing the DirectX/OpenGL APIs.

For most of us, and right now, DirectX 12 is still largely irrelevant as there are only a few gaming titles taking advantage of it's new features. Prepar3D 32bit, X-Plane, etc. are all optimised for DirectX 11. Prepar3D V4 64bit, if it exists, has yet to appear. However, it is reasonable to assume that it has been developed to allow the exploitation of DirectX 12 sometime in the future, thus ensuring its longevity as the relentless march of hardware progress continues.

Regards,

Mike

10 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Switch to W 10 and get fantastic FPS.   LOL.... now that's funny. 

Not funny, its what I'm seeing - although as posted earlier I think the bigger factor is upgraded hardware..

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

41 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Not funny, its what I'm seeing - although as posted earlier I think the bigger factor is upgraded hardware..

There were many reports of increased performance when W10 was first installed, but 99% of them found that a fresh install of any OS produced the same results. This was discovered by simmers that didn't like W10 and rolled back to W7. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

C'mon guys, let's leave it at that. Kevin and many others are clearly quite happy with their choices. Me, I'm content to keep MS off my back for as long as practically possible.  I don't need the stress.

Regards,

Mike

• Upvote 2

I am in no way an MS fan, without details they have caused me no end of grief.  But I cant deny Win10 is overall a pretty decent platform for me.  I completely respect everyone elses choices though :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I will be upgrading to Windows 10 when I purchase a new PC, but I have no idea when that will be at this stage. I would prefer to do it before I suffer a system failure with my current three year old i5 4690k powered PC. Waiting three weeks for this one to be delivered after my old i5 2500k PC suffered a double GPU/motherboard failure in July 2014 was torture!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can't confirm any performance gains from Win 7 to Win 10 ... all my tests shows them as close to equal as my testing accuracy allows for.

Today's Windows 10 "adventure" ... in Visual Studio, double click an Excel 2016 spreadsheet I have saved as documentation in my VS 2015 solution and now Excel pops up and forces my document into "Protected Mode" (meaning it can't be edited).  No idea why, the very same document I open early in the morning from the same PC and no such warning.

So I'm yet again forced into researching why I'm now getting this message that I wasn't before ... Microsoft shows me how to disable this Excel "feature", so I disable it ... test again, problem remains.  Just yet again another hour of my day wasted trying to resolve Microsoft Office/OS/VS bugs ... sadly this is a daily routine adding up to many 1000's of hours lost researching a problem that shouldn't exist.

The past 17 years have been more about researching problems with Microsoft's products/OS/development tools than actually coding solutions.  Having coded for over 37 years from the very beginnings of PCs, my productivity (as in working and deployed code/solutions) has progressively gone down every year since about 2000.  It's a rather sad state of software engineering in the Microsoft world of products where development "teams" are REQUIRED to implement solutions ... has to be a dedicated UI developer, a dedicated web services developer, a dedicated DB developer, a dedicated security developer, deployment developer, graphic artist, a lead developer to coordinate scope, and a project manager to talk to the real world.  That's just a "start" ... with all these required resources the cost of software development has skyrocketed.  Why?  Because Microsoft have positioned themselves and their technologies in such a way that teams ARE required ... that was NOT always the case.

Anyway, back on topic, so we can confirm that updating to Windows 10 creator (1703) did break something with the Q400 which requires a re-install of the Q400 ... thanks for the information Kevin.

Cheers, Rob.

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Anyway, back on topic, so we can confirm that updating to Windows 10 creator (1703) did break something with the Q400 which requires a re-install of the Q400

It certainly looked like it with my install, and reinstall. Plus I saw a report or two over on the Majestic forum.

I can confirm MJC Q400 needs a re-install after updating to Windows 10 Creator 1703 (enterprise edition).  Once re-installed the Q400 works as expected.

Cheers, Rob.

Also having some problems with my Q400 - don't think it has anything to do with Win10 (which I also run) - strangely

when I try and load it on the runway I get all the warnings going off in the cockpit (bank angle ect..) then I get a green banner across the top of the screen with "crash" - plane is not moving and engines not started -  running version 1.018 pro edition (just before recent update) and P3Dv3 - anyone any ideas? (not sure if its worth doing a completely reinstall - if yes then whats best way to uninstall it?

Turn off crash detection in P3D

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Oh I should add that I had to re-install all the versions of SimConnect after the Windows 10 Creators udpate.

Cheers, Rob.

15 hours ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

Turn off crash detection in P3D

thanks just tried disabling the crash and looks like it could be working - but is it normal to have to disable crash detection?

Also 1)If I install the latest patch should it still work with my P3Dv3 or will I need to update that also?

2)has anyone tried it with flyinside and does it work ok?

Is it then considered wise to hold off on installing Winblows 10 until such time that P3D V4 arrives and indicates it is required for DX12 access?  Therefore, if V4 doesn't utilize DX12, no reason to install Win 10?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 4/23/2017 at 2:19 PM, kevinfirth said:

PRO edition, updated to the 1.018e patch...

SOLVED: Damned Windows 10 Creators edition GRRR!  Reinstalled and all OK

I've got the exact same problem. I often have to reinstall. I haven't figured the rule, but I think its everytime there is a Prepar3D client uninstall/reinstall. Does anybody have figured out why the Majestic needs to be reinstalled on seemingly unrelated software reinstall?

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard