Sign in to follow this  
Ridgw003

Engine cutoff

Purchased this great looking plane a couple months ago. I've been really busy so I've only recently started putting it through it's paces. 

Despite ensuring everything is up to snuff with there being fuel on board, not at max power, and coming off the condition lever a bit, within ten minutes of takeoff, both engines just quit. I cannot restart them. It usually finishes with a spectacularly fiery crash where both my passengers (a group of old folks headed home to San Diego from Laughlin) and I, being able to exit the flight to reload and try again. 

The problem seems to be happening regardless of how I control the airplane, either AP or manual. Hell, I even had my buddy Manuel come over to give it some Latin flair. Always the end result, disappointed old folks. 

As you can imagine, with me being the nice guy that I am, I just want to get these folks home safely. After having blown their Social Security checks at the penny slots. 

I have checked through the cfg file and have found no obvious signs of issues. Has anyone else had these problems? Anyone come up with a fix?

Thanks,

Matt

AKA Bionic Pilot

'Not at max power' isn't very precise and 'coming off the condition lever a bit' isn't necessary as it has nothing to do with engine performance.

The condition levers are staying full foward during the flight and to avoid this problem you have to stay at or below the torque limits.

AFAIR  1900 RPM < 1382ft/lb   and  at 1700 RPM < 1477ft/lb 

From my brief turboprop aircraft training (I jumped out) I wasn't paying much attention to the levers. To adjust rpm, aside from coming off the throttle more, what else can be done? The engine magically cutting off isn't helping at all. 

Coming off the throttles doesn't affect prop RPM at all. To reduce prop RPM, pull back the prop levers.

With the throttles and prop levers you control torque.  (No need to watch engine RPM).

If you exceed maximum torque for more than a few minutes your engine(s) will fail.