Sign in to follow this  
andreh

Took the plunge - went P3D

Hi all,

I'm now a P3D guy. Glad I switched. I can run it smoothly at such ridiculously high settings I'm OOMing the crap out of it! hehe... Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

Andre

Enjoy :biggrin:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, andreh said:

I'm OOMing the crap out of it!

And the above is the exact reason i'm waiting until the 64bit sim comes out.

Then its bye bye FS9 and hello new rig and 64 bit!!!

• Upvote 1

To be fair, I'm running insane settings. Was making a bit of a joke. Flew EGKK to LFMN yesterday, both with addon airports, didn't remove scenerary on the way, very high scenery settings and all the usual orbx, rex and AS16 stuff and the pmdg ngx. Had 0.01 left when deboarded with GSX! Got the dreaded ping, but it didn't CTD. FSX surely would've blown up.

Andre

I quit flying MSFS for years until I tried P3D. I wouldn't go back to MSFS if you paid me. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm contemplating P3D.  Couple questions:

1. Are you suggesting that you get better FPS in P3D with an apples to apples setup?

2.  P3D plays nice with Windows 10, right?

Thanks!

James

1 hour ago, DAL488 said:

1. Are you suggesting that you get better FPS in P3D with an apples to apples setup?

Thanks!

James

P3D uses the GPU and there is no real comparison between FSX FPS and P3D, the numbers don't mean the same thing.  Lots of P3D users use a frame rate lock of 20 with superb results.  Plays perfectly nice with Win10.  P3D also tries to free up valuable VAS when it gets tight, I've seen it stay alive at surprisingly low numbers. Of course, sometimes it needs a large chunk of memory and it might be compartmentalized so an OOM with 800 MB remaining is very rare but I've seen it.  The visuals in P3D are so much better than the best you can do in FSX, only downside in my opinion is night lighting such as cities is very weak whereas highways are bright ribbons.... annoying but not a show stopper.

Dan Downs KCRP

I was a hold-out before losing my fsx drive.  The world ended and now is way better.  Make sure you have something newer than a 2 year old machine and put P3D 3.4 on a speedy SSD or PCIE SSD.
All the ORBX stuff is easy to reinstall with FTXCentral 3.  RealAir planes took a bit more work but there are tools for that.  All sliders except autogen at normal, traffic in the 40's are maxed.  HDR works well with little hit.  NVidia inspector works well. Unlimited, No Gsync, 1070 SLI latest driver, great fps with loaded scenery and UTLive which is really nice but still in testing.  FPS at KSQL is bad as usual so there are no miracles promised. IQ is very nice and the lighting and shadows are great.  Best of all the water set at highest is awesome nothing in FSX comes close.  Also - very glad to have EZDOK V2 back

Lessons learned:  exclude all of your P3D related folders from Windows Defender if on Windows 10 (also vg)

Great outcome to my imagined disaster.

jja

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

10 hours ago, DAL488 said:

Thanks!

James

1) Yes. But you'll need better GPU than you would for FSX. FPS and texture loading is insane in P3D with reasonable high end settings and a modern machine. I have an i7 6700k and a GTX1070

2) No problems here

15 hours ago, newtie said:

Don't tweak anything.

Are you suggesting that I'm just gonna fly??? hehe :-) What am I going to do with all the time?

I am sure that the best results will be obtained by using the latest chosen technologies.

There is no denying that there are very many software developers trying very hard to improve our flying experiences. I continue to see very impressive advancements over my 30+ years of simming. So I would encourage everybody to 'come for the ride'.

That said, I completely understand that if you feel that you cannot justify the expenditures involved in updating your sim, you may choose to go behind the curve. And occasionally, new elements do cause teething problems.

I can only say that I continue to get immense pleasure from experiencing all the great impovements constantly flowing towards us.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

After enjoying all versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator from version 3 to FSX,

After enjoying P3D since version 1.4 until the 3.4,

After trying 2 demos of Xplane 10 and 11 and not being convinced,

After configuring a new machine running at 5Mhz,

I decided to buy Xplane 11. What a nice surprise, the flight model seems a bit more detailed, the plane behaiviour at touch down is more detailed. Defenetly not as eye candy but slightly more convincing as a simulator. At max settings the immersion is great.

Still in the middle of the plunge. 

5 hours ago, andreh said:

Are you suggesting that I'm just gonna fly??? hehe :-) What am I going to do with all the time?

Yes, and save you embarrassment and consternation when you ask 'What are the best tweaks for P3D?'

:biggrin:

Vas is better as p3d releases unneeded scenery whereas fsx doesnt.  P3D also leverages the gpu far better.  Mid range settings for p3d equal max in fsx.

spacer.png