Sign in to follow this  
Flic1

My Antivirus just killed my P3D....

Oh my....I must say I have never had this happen before.  I use Webroot AV and have had it for about 6 months which is when I got my new system.  Today it ran a scan and detected quite a number of 'W32.Trojan' files in many of my flightsim related programs including P3D itself.  I hit the 'fix' button which I now think was a big mistake as it has wiped most of these things off my computer it seems.  I was able to open P3D but it immediately crashes once a flight is started.  My AS16/ASCA, PMDG ops center, Navigraph, etc, etc appears to now be gone!!  I really don't see a way of fixing this other than a full cleanup and reinstall sadly.  Has anyone ever come across this type of situation?? I'm fairly new to Webroot but it just seemed odd to have all these threats in my flightsim addons (assuming it just thinks all these things are actual threats). This antivirus only lets you exclude files and not folders as I have always excluded my P3D stuff prior to using this. 

:ohmy:

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

You are looking at a a complete UNINSTALL/REINSTALL cycle at the very least. I'd look for another AV if this one won't let you exclude folders. I prefer Eset AV  and have used it for years - I find it to be the least invasive of the major AV programs.

You *might* get away with a repair install of P3D but you'd be better off uninstalling it first ( for licensing reasons) and then reinstalling.

Good luck!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, Flic1 said:

Oh my....I must say I have never had this happen before.  I use Webroot AV and have had it for about 6 months which is when I got my new system.  Today it ran a scan and detected quite a number of 'W32.Trojan' files in many of my flightsim related programs including P3D itself.  I hit the 'fix' button which I now think was a big mistake as it has wiped most of these things off my computer it seems.  I was able to open P3D but it immediately crashes once a flight is started.  My AS16/ASCA, PMDG ops center, Navigraph, etc, etc appears to now be gone!!  I really don't see a way of fixing this other than a full cleanup and reinstall sadly.  Has anyone ever come across this type of situation?? I'm fairly new to Webroot but it just seemed odd to have all these threats in my flightsim addons (assuming it just thinks all these things are actual threats). This antivirus only lets you exclude files and not folders as I have always excluded my P3D stuff prior to using this. 

:ohmy:

I have used Webroot for years, and today, in the middle of a flight I got a popup saying that it detected a couple of files that it wanted to get rid of that were relayed to the aircraft I wa flying an AS 16. I denied the fix. The next screen that came up said did I want to allow those files to be untouched ( something ;like that, can't remember the exact phrase). I said yes, and that was the end of it. . It was just updated a couple of days ago, and apparently it decided it didn't like some of my sim files. I am going to send them an email about it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I just found this on the webroot forum. before you reinstall anything follow these Intstructions from Webroot. 

I am pasting this that I copied from their forum. 

Re: W32.Trojan.Gen false positives
Options
6m ago

Between 12PM – 3PM MTN today Webroot falsely identified a safe file as a threat. Customers whose apps were trying to use this file during the 12PM-3PM MTN window could have received a red block screen and followed instructions to quarantine the good file.  To resolve the issue we need customers to restore the quarantined file. Please follow the steps below to un-quarantine and restore the file:

Open the Webroot application by double-clicking the W icon found in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
On the Webroot home screen select “Scan My Computer.”
Once the scan completes and you’re back on the Webroot home screen, click on the cog icon found next to PC Security. 
Click the “Quarantine” tab.
Note where the date and time of the files quarantined is shown on the right of the screen.
Identify every file listed for Mon 2017-04-24 with a time stamp between 12PM – 3PM MTN
Click the check box on the left hand side of the screen next to all the files you identified in step 6.
Click the “Restore” button located in the bottom right of the screen to un-quarantine the file.
When prompted “If you’re sure you want to roll back the selected entries…” choose “Yes”.
Depending on how many files that are being restored this could take several minutes to complete the action.
Return to the home screen and scan once more to make sure the issue is resolved.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you think to change your AV, I strongly recommend the use of Avira Pro or Kaspersky. For me, they are the least invasive AV out there. Was using ESET for years (ESET Smart Security), but unfortunately the latest version came up blocking my internet connection itself (!).

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

20 minutes ago, edpatino said:

If you think to change your AV, I strongly recommend the use of Avira Pro or Kaspersky. For me, they are the least invasive AV out there. Was using ESET for years (ESET Smart Security), but unfortunately the latest version came up blocking my internet connection itself (!).

Cheers, Ed

Webroot is one of the least invasive  AV's of PC game performance there is, and I have tried most of them.  This issue  apparently was a one time glitch in their latest update, which I posted above.  

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I just found this on the webroot forum. before you reinstall anything follow these Intstructions from Webroot. 

I am pasting this that I copied from their forum. 

Re: W32.Trojan.Gen false positives
Options
6m ago

Between 12PM – 3PM MTN today Webroot falsely identified a safe file as a threat. Customers whose apps were trying to use this file during the 12PM-3PM MTN window could have received a red block screen and followed instructions to quarantine the good file.  To resolve the issue we need customers to restore the quarantined file. Please follow the steps below to un-quarantine and restore the file:

Open the Webroot application by double-clicking the W icon found in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
On the Webroot home screen select “Scan My Computer.”
Once the scan completes and you’re back on the Webroot home screen, click on the cog icon found next to PC Security. 
Click the “Quarantine” tab.
Note where the date and time of the files quarantined is shown on the right of the screen.
Identify every file listed for Mon 2017-04-24 with a time stamp between 12PM – 3PM MTN
Click the check box on the left hand side of the screen next to all the files you identified in step 6.
Click the “Restore” button located in the bottom right of the screen to un-quarantine the file.
When prompted “If you’re sure you want to roll back the selected entries…” choose “Yes”.
Depending on how many files that are being restored this could take several minutes to complete the action.
Return to the home screen and scan once more to make sure the issue is resolved.

Bob - Thanks for this...unfortunately I had already begun the uninstall process.  My trigger finger is just moving too fast today!!  Good to know what the issue was though....now back the reinstall...:ohmy:

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Webroot is one of the least invasive  AV's of PC game performance there is, and I have tried most of them.  This issue  apparently was a one time glitch in their latest update, which I posted above.  

Thanks, good to know, but today's issue with the update is unnaceptable in my opinion.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Thanks, good to know, but today's issue with the update is unnaceptable in my opinion.

Cheers, Ed

Well I'll be damned, a software program with a glitch.  Who would have thought that would be  possible. :blink:

The computer virus was created with a single aim, to sell antivirus programs!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

And this is why I have never used any for the last 6 years and......:blink: all is fine. Aniti cr:@p ware.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

just imagine if you were the poor webroot programer who released that little lot on the world,could it be that they are short on beta testers! LOL

Peter

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, wizzards said:

just imagine if you were the poor webroot programer who released that little lot on the world,could it be that they are short on beta testers! LOL

Peter

He is making Burgers now, no doubt.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.