Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

To limit or not to limit, that is the?

I recently purchased a GTX1050ti 4gb graphics card and run triple screens using Nvidia surround.  My cpu is an i5 4760ti.

My question is: given the latest graphics technology (10 series nvidia) and my cpu overclocked to 4.0 using MSI Gamer, when using DX10 Fixer and DX10 which I understand utilises the gpu more,  is there still a need to limit the fps to say 25-30 in order to improve texture loading, or is it better now to set FSX to unlimited? Can the new graphics card cope better? 

Can any techies advise, or anyone using similar cpu / gpu setup and DX10 advise their settings? 

Cheers, 

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Which windows version do you use Stuart?

The reason I ask is that may determine the best path, as I have found Windows 10 Pro does not support the 1/2 refresh rate VSync option, which means limiting 30 FPS in game in Windows 10 is not as smooth as using unlimited in game, and fixing 30.5 FPS using the external limiter in NI.

Counter to what was best using my Windows 7 PC and commonly accepted orthodoxy.

Windows 8 and 10 use DWM which means VSync is on all of the time, is my understanding.

However some people do report that 1/2 refresh rate works on their Windows 10 PC's (it does not on mine) - determine that first (if you are W10) and then try what is best.

I use legacy Acceleration with the Fixer with a GTX1080, unlimited with NI frame rate fixed in NI as above, VSync force on / off does not seem to matter (on mine) but I have it on.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark for your thoughts re vsynch

I run Windows 10 64bit Home (auto upgraded from Windows 7) and FSX:SE.

Still bit confused - the DX10 how to guide recommends limiting to 30 in NI and setting 31 in FSX and VSynch to Standard &  1/2 refresh rate. I've also read that limiting fps in FSX helps the loading of textures (ground and autogen) , particularly photo scenery, and improves the occurance of the ground texture 'blurries'  due to slow texture loading.  

I was really wondering if using DX10 (which uses the GPU more) and the latest graphics card (1050ti) whether these previous recomendations as detailed in the DX10 How To guide still apply, especially in respect to texture loading. 

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Hi Stuart,

I found the DX10 guide somewhat helpful (and I thank the person who spent along time putting it together) but it pre dates Windows 10 and whilst I followed it to the letter in June last year when I had my new system built, what I use now is different due to said discoveries on the way. 

Everything you say is true and is what I believed as well but in practice, I found the VSync issue made me revisit long held taboos like unlimited and locking using NI externally.

If 1/2 refresh rate works on your Windows 10 ( as a small amount of people "out there" report it does but not on mine) then follow the guide. It worked beautifully on my W7 system.

With regards to DX10 and texture loading I can't really answer as (once again, on my PC) I could not run anything other than default FSX on DX9 - I had to enable DX10 for it to be stable on my set up.

I have a beautiful set up now, but it took a long time for me to get there.

Even if P3D v4 64 bit came out tomorrow I would probably not jump until I had to.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks again Mark, 

I'll give the fps set unlimited in FSX and limited in NI a try, and see if it has any negative effect. 

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

15 hours ago, mwa05 said:

The reason I ask is that may determine the best path, as I have found Windows 10 Pro does not support the 1/2 refresh rate VSync option

As far as I'm aware, Windows 10 has no problems with the vsync 1/2 refresh rate option - it works perfectly for me (and many others, looking around the forums).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit