Sign in to follow this  
Lukamak

Too much haze and not blue skies in CAVOK

Hello

using: P3D V3, AS16, ASCA, PTA

I have this problem that even in CAVOK conditions when I am on ground skies are not blue, but grey. This is becase of haze, as I go above approximately FL150 it becomes more and more blue. This is for any value for UPER MAX Visibility except the 200, but I used to have it set to 105 and it was perfect. It is pretty unrealistic to always have grey skies on ground when descend starts in amazing blue skies, and no clouds on descend. The problem appeared after P3d Reinstall and ASCA purchase. As I was reinstalling I purchased ASCA so not sure what caused it.

This pics were taken in CAVOK condidtion airport.

Luka Makhviladze
PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Ceiling and visibility OK does not mean unlimited, and most places in the world have a slight haze that AS16 incorporates. All it takes is some humidity and there is a haze, so cold fronts and winter high pressure areas with very dry air gives us pretty blue skies.  In Texas, we call strong cold fronts 'blue northerners."  I have noticed that in areas where it truly is unlimited visibility, such as upper Canadian shield, the haze effect isn't necessary but not troublesome.  I've flown along the gulf coast on warm summer nights and the lights below appear to be in an aquarium there is so much moisture in the air (dewpoints in the 80s).

Dan Downs KCRP

Have to agree with Dan. Haze is ever present although I will say that from ground level and looking skyward it shouldn't be as bad as you describe, Luka.

My issue with haze or lack of it (in FSX which I am still running) isn't while on the ground but when I'm in the higher FLs and looking down and seeing the ground clearly. I've been flying (as a passenger) for a long time and I can say that I have never looked at the earth below without there being a layer of grey-ish blue haze in varying degrees. Sometimes less and sometimes more. For the record I use ASN and REX4 textures.

Have you tried using AS16 with another texture package and seeing if you still have the same issue?

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

4 hours ago, vortex7 said:

Hello

using: P3D V3, AS16, ASCA, PTA

I have this problem that even in CAVOK conditions when I am on ground skies are not blue, but grey. This is becase of haze, as I go above approximately FL150 it becomes more and more blue. This is for any value for UPER MAX Visibility except the 200, but I used to have it set to 105 and it was perfect. It is pretty unrealistic to always have grey skies on ground when descend starts in amazing blue skies, and no clouds on descend. The problem appeared after P3d Reinstall and ASCA purchase. As I was reinstalling I purchased ASCA so not sure what caused it.

This pics were taken in CAVOK condidtion airport.

Are you using the volumetric fog option in P3D?  If so, use the 200 mile upper visibility limit in AS16 and that eliminates the issue with multiple visibility layers causing the haze obscuration at low altitudes.  If you are not using the volumetric fog option in P3D then using something like 100 miles upper visibility would work.  The issue you are having sounds like what I was dealing with and it was related to the volumetric fog. I have had mine at 200 miles for a while with nice results.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11