Sign in to follow this  
Akshar32

Invest or not?

Hello everyone of the flight simulation community! Currently, AS16 and ASCA are on sale for a considerable amount of the MSRP. I am probably going to move over to p3d for various, obvious reasons. The question I have is whether I should bite the bullet and get p3d v3 or wait for v4? Also, should I buy AS16 and ASCA right now for p3d since they are on sale and wait for v4?, buy them in conjunction with p3d v3, or not buy them at all?

Buy P3D v3.4, buy AS16 + ASCA + ENVTEX if you could and use those combination with PTA.

I'm a guy that don't like to wait, time flies.
Cheers,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Hello everyone. As the flight simulation has grown in quality in recent years, I would like to join FS once again. After doing lots of research, I am probably going to go with P3D. The question is should I wait for v4 or invest in the current v3. In addition, I would like to know how well P3D would run on my computer and how it will be able to handle lots of complex add-ons. Also, what add-ons would you recommend for me to buy first. I have FTX Global and that's about it.

Here are my specs:

i5-6600K (Not overclocked)

16GB DDR4 RAM

R9 280X

Though there is a great deal of talk about a 64-bit release later this year, it will still take third-party aircraft add on developers some time to convert their products to 64-bit (and lesser popular developer products may not do so).  There will also be the adjustment (bug) period with both the sim and re-released aircraft, and nobody can give your rough dates for all that.  If you're willing to wait all that out, then that's fine. But if you fly a lot of want to improve your sim, then don't wait. 

Note also that P3D is a little tougher on your computer, so your processor at 3.5GHz probably won't fair too well and if you choose to O/C then you're also might have to invest in a better cooling system.

Like all the other people who write to ask "Should I upgrade", "should I buy this aircraft", "should I wait", etc., only you know what your preferences, goals, pocket book, how much time you spend simming, what type of aircraft you like to fly.  No matter what, the answer will always boil down to a personal decision on your part my friend.

My very best wishes.

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 4/24/2017 at 7:00 PM, Akshar32 said:

Hello everyone. As the flight simulation has grown in quality in recent years, I would like to join FS once again. After doing lots of research, I am probably going to go with P3D. The question is should I wait for v4 or invest in the current v3. In addition, I would like to know how well P3D would run on my computer and how it will be able to handle lots of complex add-ons. Also, what add-ons would you recommend for me to buy first. I have FTX Global and that's about it.

Here are my specs:

i5-6600K (Not overclocked)

16GB DDR4 RAM

R9 280X

Hi,

P3D (and also FSX/FSX:SE) does not behave the same even with similar computers. We can have same computer hardware but performance and/or VAS will be different depends on how we set up the sim.

It does not need lots of complex addons to knock out your computer, or even mine, 1 complex aircraft, 1 complex airport and high sliders already give it a hard time.

I just moved to P3D recently and I only fly airliners so I bought AS16+ASCA+ENVTEX (these combine with PTA are awesome), FTX Global + openLC + Vector, mesh addons. I bought PMDGs and FSLAbs A320x.

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Just get the monthly subscription for version 3 for now, and then when 4 comes out (hopefully soon) you can pay for the full version of Prepar3D 4.0.

Mark Trainer

• Upvote 1

Invest or not?

This is actually a very good question at this stage in P3D development. It would be rather useful to know which addons will be compatible with a 64bit version of P3D, so that new customers like Akshar can make better informed decisions. IMO, if you have not yet taken your first step into the world of P3D, then it might be a good idea to wait until the 64bit version is available (and I am assuming that this is what v4 will be). I wouldn't want to waste money having to upgrade so soon after my first purchase.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

This is actually a very good question at this stage in P3D development. It would be rather useful to know which addons will be compatible with a 64bit version of P3D, so that new customers like Akshar can make better informed decisions. IMO, if you have not yet taken your first step into the world of P3D, then it might be a good idea to wait until the 64bit version is available (and I am assuming that this is what v4 will be). I wouldn't want to waste money having to upgrade so soon after my first purchase.

Going to take a long time to see V 4 released, and then to get a large movement of simmers towards the newest version, and then probably even longer to have add ons modified to work with V4. If I were starting today, I would pay the $10 a month and start flying V3 until everything is worked out. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310