Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

How do you slip a plane?

I have tried banking with aileron and using opposite rudder but the plane ends up going all over the place. Is there a tutorial on this anywhere? Thanks.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

For starters, a lot of modeled planes won't slip well. And it also helps to have rudder pedals for more precision than a twist grip. Other than that, if the model is capable of of slip, you should be able to aim at a point, roll in some aileron, and push enough opposite rudder to keep aiming at the same point, such as the end of the runway. The plane should loose altitude fast, while not gaining airspeed. When you've dropped altitude far enough, just release the controls. A lot of models will run out of rudder to easily, and you'll never maintain the aiming point. RealAir Simulations has a number of excellent slipping models, as it's an area of flight modeling, that they went all out to duplicate. As I remember, their "free" default Cessna 172 flight dynamic revision, slips well also. It's available in the Avsim Library.L.Adamson

I've been able to slip the Carenado C206 and Bill Lyon's Tripacer. Both drop like a rock with neglegible airspeed increase.Fixed aiming point is the key as the previous poster indicated.Cheers,

Flight1 172 slips great................

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Guest Jimbofly

Many people don't realise this, but being able to slip an aircraft competently is a valuable skill to have, especially in the final phases of landing.To slip an aircraft in FS9, which suffice to say is the same as doing it in real life, you'll at least need an aircraft with a good slip model. If you don't have one (no default aircraft does), then you'll simply have to forget about it. Like was posted previously, the RealAir addon for the default 172 offers an excellent flight model to practise on.When practising slips, you'll need to have mastered use of the rudder. All that's required to slip an aircraft is to actuate the rudder in either direction, with a fair degree of deflection. If you want to maintain a slip, you'll need to roll the aircraft in the opposite direction, until you've established a bank, and hold it there, whilst holding the rudder in the opposite direction. This situation is know as a cross-control situation.When you have become confident with the slip, the next thing is to utilise it whilst landing in a crosswind situation. The technique is simply to point down the centre of the runway on the approach, whilst banking into the direction of the crosswind, and applying opposite rudder. The aircraft will then be slipping into the crosswind, whilst the rudder is generally used to keep the nose of the aircraft pointing down the centreline of the runway. The actual bank angle to sustain varies with the intensity of the crosswind, and it's a matter of practise to get it right.To cap it off, let me remind you that you won't necessarily get it all in one go. It does and will take a fair bit of practise to get right.Cheers,James

Just to add one (not so) small thing to the already excellent explanations. In the airplane that I fly (real world) one will have to control the airspeed by pitch during the cross-control situation. Since the purpose is generally to increase the rate of descent without a change of airspeed you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

. . . with a slight caution that stall speed increases in a cross-control slip to some degree. Normally enough speed is maintained above stall on final so not much will have to be added.

Guest Shayt

Hi,Do you know if the Flight1 C152 has a slipping capability?Thanks,Shay

Yeah.. I noticed that I can't slip many of the addon paywares.Too bad.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>Yeah.. I noticed that I can't slip many of the addon>paywares.>>Too bad.Not really. Slipping to loose altitude, isn't a normal landing proceedure. It's why we have flaps. Being realistic, it's going to be a very long while before all default or add-on airplanes mimic real aircraft in all ways. At the moment, add-on developers specialize in certain areas, whether it be slips/spins, aerobatics, or high tech instrumentation, systems, graphics, etc. As an example, it might even be a year or two, to get a decent all working Garmin 1000 glass panel setup..........at a reasonable cost.To do it all, would require far too much time and too much expense. In the meantime, just get the freeware/payware models that do what's required for your particular interest. To expect all, to do all, will never happen....... anytime soon. L.Adamson

I might be mistaken (my typical disclaimer), but I think there are two 2 cross-control technics. The "slip" and the "crab". The slip is used to loose altitude without a speed increase and the crab is used to keep the aircraft center-line lined up with the center-line of the runway in a cross wind.

>>I might be mistaken (my typical disclaimer), but I think there>are two 2 cross-control technics. The "slip" and the "crab".>The slip is used to loose altitude without a speed increase>and the crab is used to keep the aircraft center-line lined up>with the center-line of the runway in a cross wind.The "crab" is not cross-controlled. Slips might often be defined as side slip and forward slip. But these can be confusing. I kind of like the following explanation: Just scroll down to "slips".http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/snaps.htmlL.Adamson

The crab does not align the aircraft's nose with the runway centerline, that's the side-slip. Crabbing is adjusting your heading into the wind to make your course track the runway which is what most jetliners are seen doing on approach until they kick the nose over with the rudder just before touch down.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Thanks for all your replies and tips - and the See How it Flies link. I'm off to practice some more - still haven't really got the hang of it!

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE