Sign in to follow this  
Cruachan

Another strange finding!!

Oh you fibber, take a look at your post again - top right hand corner - where I am, Scotland, it reads: Sun Jan-15-06 01:53 AMMike ;)

your bios might need a new battery, does windows keep track of time OK? maybe you have a virus

I agree, your PC's batt is probably worn out, but that's expected in a 60 year old machine. Happy New Year! It was 2067 a few days ago.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

"I agree, your PC's batt is probably worn out, but that's expected in a 60 year old machine. Happy New Year! It was 2067 a few days ago.".....I've just run the version of Sandra which would have been appropriate for interrogating the voltage sensors on my machine way back in 2006 and these are the results:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/138994.jpgSomehow I don't think the MoBo's battery is the cause - appears to be still holding out just fine and my system's performance is up to par and appears as stable as ever.Any other thoughts?MikeP4 2.4GHz (400FSB), 1Gig PC2100 DDR Crucial, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (Omega 2.6.53 / Catalyst 5.7), SB Audigy (5.12.0001.0443), Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 17" TFT LCD 20ms Monitor (1280x1024x32), Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBo, Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 (160GB) + IBM Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 (40 GB), Ultra-Quiet PSU 400W, Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse, WinXP Home (SP2), DirectX 9.0c, AGP Aperture = 128MB

do you ever notice when you turn on the computer the windows clock is totally off since when you last turned it off? I am not familiar with those tests but it appears to just tell you what voltage your battery uses, not whether it is going bad or not

"do you ever notice when you turn on the computer the windows clock is totally off since when you last turned it off? I am not familiar with those tests but it appears to just tell you what voltage your battery uses, not whether it is going bad or not"......nope, the windows clock never seems to miss a beat and remains reasonably accurate.Sandra (SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005.SR3)is, quote: "an award-winning utility which now includes remote analysis, benchmarking and diagnostic features for PCs, servers, PDAs, Smart Phones, small office/home office (SOHO) networks and enterprise networks." unquoteIn this instance I have run the Mainboard information module which includes Temps, Fans and Voltages Information - queries the environment monitor for temperature, cooling and voltage sensors.As far as the battery voltage is concerned, each time I run the module, it returns the current voltage across the battery poles as monitored by the onboard sensor.Mike

Here are the voltages recorded at intervals over an hour:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139000.jpgSeems pretty stable to me.I can't help feeling we are barking up the wrong tree. The CMOS battery should, unless faulty, under normal conditions of use have a lifetime of up to 10 years. My system is currently 3

Guest Bob Z

MikeBefore you do anything drastic hardware-wise, I checked my modules folder and I have the same thing. I don't know if the modules are exactly the same as yours but the date accessed is also 2068. I have had the last access turned off in the registry for at least a year and a half.I did a search on all files on my drives for a date accessed between today and the year 2099. The only files affected are FS9 files and they all appear to be related to the FS9.1 update. The FS9UpdateUninstall.exe and the FS9UpdateReadme.rtf in the main FS9 folder also have this date. There are also some in other FS9 folders and they all appear to be 9.1 files (bridges, New York agn files, etc).I would expect that if it was a hardware issue there would also be files affected that are other than FS9 files.Several months back I uninstalled and reinstalled the 9.1 update several times in an attempt to alleviate the autogen display distance issue and the last time I forgot to delete the backup folder created by the update, so I have 2 of each file in the backup folder. These also have the 2068 date, I don't know if this is related.I have not experienced any problems with FS9 other than a few of the well discussed ones which we all have to one degree or another, so I don't think the date affects the sim performance in any way.I'm currently using the FS9.1 update but with the FS9.0 generic.bgl and this increases the autogen display distance.

There is an option in XP to disable the Last Access Timestamp. According to Microsoft 'Disabling the Last Access Time improves the speed of folder and file access.' This access can be disabled by entering the following statement in the command prompt:FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLELASTACCCES 1or by changing the registry key HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlFileSystemNtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate I've had this set for a long time on my PC without noticing any adverse effects. It can, however, affect programs such as backup and Remote Storage. Source: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...-us/fsutil.mspx

Thanks Bob and mgh, this is both reassuring and fascinating. I wonder whether MS are aware of this?Fortunately this does not appear to have any deleterious affects on FS9's behaviour. I too have had "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" set for some time now so this, I am assuming, would explain why the date has not changed since the installation of FS9.1. Yet I note that when you copy and paste any or all of these files to some other location the "Date Accessed" is updated to the time of performing said action. This is confirmed when I examined my copy of the content of the modules folder taken immediately following the 9.1 update: the Date Accessed for ALL the files = 22/10/2004 which is presumably at or shortly after the time the update was applied.Cheers guys, I appreciate you taking the time. It all seems to make perfect sense now :)MikeEdit: I can stop poking my head around the door now to check whether my PC has disappeared on another time jaunt..lol

The reference I gave explains how the Last Access System works. My understanding is that simply opening and closing a file without saving it will not necessarily change the Last Access time anyway.

As a quick supplemental: I've now modified these dates to something more sensible with a nifty little utility called AttributeMagic. Whether or not I really needed to is, of course, another matter. Makes me feel better and that's what counts!Mike

Guest Derek D

I was going to suggest simply deleting the erroneously dated files and copy the originals off of the CD, but in all honesty I can't imagine the timestamps would have any effect on FS's behavior anyway.