Sign in to follow this  
Koko lia

Most FPS friendly PMDG plane?(747,737,777 0r Md11)??

Hi everyone,newbie around here.I just installed FX-Steam edition and i will buy a PMDG plane.I dont know wich one.Looking for some advise regarding FPS(because i know a PMDG product will drop FPS) and best performance.i kinda need the most friendly FPS of the planes i mentioned..Thanks..

I have:

CPU-AMD-FX8320

16 Ram

Radeon R9-390

SSD 250gygs,WD 1Tera

As Rock 970

some liquid cooling and bunch of fans...

Don't take my word on this, as I only own the 737, but I've *heard* optimizations have gotten better over time and the 777 and 747 should run better than the old 737.  I hope that's the case, as the 737 is still a framerate killer - it's actually in my worst case scenario I use for testing new hardware.

New 747--400 is great on fps.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

it may be somewhat system dependent, it feels like i get slightly better performance in the 737. it's definitely way easier on VAS by a few hundred megs.

the 747 is slightly ahead of the 777, and all 3 are way ahead of the md-11 which is pretty old tech. in fact i'm not sure if it is supported on steam at all, and they no longer sell it either.

all 3 of them are generally pretty rough on fps unfortunately.

i should also say that i did not do a scientific test, this is just my impressions from flying quite a bit both the 737 and 747 lately.

and i would also like to stress that the difference is pretty small!! maybe 5% or something, it's pretty subtle.

honestly i'd suggest picking the one that most closely matches the type of flying you are interested in, can't really go wrong with any of them..

cheers-,

andy crosby

Thanks so much guys.I had  the 737 and the 747-1 on a inferior PC and it was  killer frames,horrible.But i guess like you said newer planes got better and now i have a better PC.I love 4 engines but im thinking on that 777...Thanks again...

I own all the PMDG jets in FSX-Steam, and it seems to me that each progression improves on performance. 747v3 a little better then T7 which is better then NGX  but there are as many variables as there are simmers so I don't know if my experience would be applicable to yours. Like Andy said, I would just pick the one that applies to the type of flying you want to do.

Vic green

Long flights,all those FMC's should act the same right?Also i would like some good realism at the ramp and all that..

1 hour ago, Koko lia said:

There's a vol 3 747 PMDG?

Version 3. Officially "PMDG 747 Queen of the Skies II" in the PMDG Operations Center it is listed as PMDG 747 V3.

The MD11 runs the best for me, as it is the oldest and least detailed. Of the more "modern" ones, the NGX performs better than the 777 and 747 on my machine.

:laugh: everyone has a different answer.  I based my statements on comments made by PMDG over the years about learning from the development of each new plane and creating more efficient code.  This *should* mean the newer planes have better, more stable performance than the older ones.

MD11 best on frames, then the 737, then 777, and last is the 747. VAS the opposite, with the 747 consuming hundreds of MBs more than the 777. To tweak any PMDG airplane, try setting your gauge refresh rate for the PFD to 15 and the rest to 10. That really helps with FPS especially on a slower system.

• Upvote 1

IMO, the 737NGX in FSX:SE is the best for performance.  I had the MD-11 installed, albeit not supported, but aside from the age being an issue, it was a bit of a stutterfest at times.  Don't get me wrong, I think the MD-11 performed well enough, but in certain areas it had some minor issues.  I chose not to reinstall it after my last debacle and reinstall with FSX because it's old.  No Wx radar, no terrain, and a dated cockpit (graphics).  The 737NGX looks like a photograph compared to a painting in the MD-11.  Also, the MD-11 is no longer sold by PMDG and it's not supported by PMDG for Steam anyhow.

I do not own the 777.  Not a fan of long hauls.  I do own the 747v3 though because you can find shorter hauls with it.  I also had the original version in FS9.  IMO, the 747v3 is a slightly worse performer than the NGX.  Having said that, it is smooth for take off and landing, but I do see more stutters with it in general.  The sounds are much more immersive in the 747 though.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

7 hours ago, Orlaam said:

IMO, the 737NGX in FSX:SE is the best for performance.  I had the MD-11 installed, albeit not supported, but aside from the age being an issue, it was a bit of a stutterfest at times.  Don't get me wrong, I think the MD-11 performed well enough, but in certain areas it had some minor issues.  I chose not to reinstall it after my last debacle and reinstall with FSX because it's old.  No Wx radar, no terrain, and a dated cockpit (graphics).  The 737NGX looks like a photograph compared to a painting in the MD-11.  Also, the MD-11 is no longer sold by PMDG and it's not supported by PMDG for Steam anyhow.

I do not own the 777.  Not a fan of long hauls.  I do own the 747v3 though because you can find shorter hauls with it.  I also had the original version in FS9.  IMO, the 747v3 is a slightly worse performer than the NGX.  Having said that, it is smooth for take off and landing, but I do see more stutters with it in general.  The sounds are much more immersive in the 747 though.

The 777 freighter gives you many short hop options. Fedex has 3 hr or less routes and shorter hops in Europe like Paris-Munich. Aerologic also has many short European routes. Lufthansa Cargo fly Toronto/Chicago to Houston, Atlanta - NYC, and Chicago to Los Angeles. It's my favorite airplane to fly because of that.

The pax 777 for Qatar and Emirates have a lot of short and medium haul flights. The 777 has many choices if you don't feel like a 10 hour flight.

I had the MD-11 in fsx acceleration but once the later PMDG airplanes came out, I missed having weather radar and terrain. I still love the layout and operation of the MD-11 best.