Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

GTX 980 TI STRIX Upgrade Question

3 hours ago, Richdem said:

Thanks for the reply,

I hope to upgrade the other components next year so the 1080 TI should be good for a little while lol

Yeah I kinda hold it the same way, although the 1080ti will come in handy when I switch to VR once 11.20 is out. But the brand new i7 8700K seems to be  the perfect fit for X-Plane and the first major step up from the 4790K I got in 2014. Upgrading the motherboard ect. is tedious though (in addition to being expensive) especially because I'd have to reinstall Windows AND Max OSX on my main machine...

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Well I sold my trusty old GTX 980 TI STRIX this morning and purchased a ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI AMP edition

First short test was from EGPH to EGKK in the IXEG 737, As I was expecting the GPU usage was lower than with my 980 TI and the max VRAM usage reported by GPUZ was 9,6GB. The FPS remained pretty much as they were as I lock at 30 for my 42" 1080P TV

Current test is EGFF to LEPA in the FF 767. sitting at the gate at Cardif with real weather, SMP 4.6 & World traffic 3 I hit 10.4GB VRAM. That's nuts lol. I also have photoreal scenery for the whole of the UK and now I am running again with extended DSF enabled. Both flights I had Max texture quality & 8X SSAA+FXAA

Although the VRAM can quickly get consumed with my current settings this card is not even breaking into a sweat. GPU load is around 30% and the temps are about 63 degrees Celsius. I haven't even heard the fans power up yet !

I think I am going to re visit my Ortho4XP tiles for the UK as I went a bit crazy with the zoom levels and I know reducing them will also help the load on my CPU.

I wasn't expecting miracles on the FPS front, in fact they were exactly what I was expecting. Being able to enable the extended DSF with photoreal scenery is fantastic. I will look at matching the 1080 TI early next year with a suitable CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade but for now I am happy. I am certainly glad I spent a bit more and opted for the 1080 TI as opposed to the 1070 or 1080 I did consider for a while.

Hope this helps anyone who is considering a similar upgrade 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png