Looking to add rudder pedals to my system for FSX-SE - Wondered what suggestions this forum would have.

Would like to have differential braking as well

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Hey Dane,

I've owned two different sets of rudder pedals. My first set was the CH Pro Pedals, and I currently am using the Saitek Combat Pedals. I wish I never would have gotten rid of the CH pedals.

The CH Pro Pedals have a very smooth throw action for the rudder axis and both toe brakes were also very smooth. All the axes had great resolution and they never were a problem. The only thing I didn't like about them were how narrow the unit was and therefore how close the pedals were to eachother.

The Saitek Combat Pedals are more natural to keep my feet on, but the rudder axis is sticky and tends to grind no matter how well I grease them. The toe brakes don't have a very long throw but are smooth.

When the Combat Pedals are starting to break down I'll be going back to the old trusty CH's, if they are still around.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I'd also cast a vote for the CH Pro.

I've been using these for about 18 months now. They have a long throw in all axis and have been trouble free.

It did take me some time to get used to them. Practice and all that. Once I developed the muscle memory for them, it's hard to think how I ever did without them.

I can now handle any tail-dragger out there. This was not the case when I was using a flight stick with integrated rudder.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

MFG Croswinds. I'm having them for about 2,5 years and they're still like a new. No software or hardware problems related. Used basicaly everyday. No maintenance needed. And even my two years old daughter can't destroy them and she likes to spill milk or juice on them very offten as she likes sitting in my home pit watching Pepa Pig. :)

Milan Z.

Dayne

Do not hesitate to purchase the MFG Crosswinds. The quality of build and accuracy are top line. They are more expensive than the CH Pro, however the accuracy and lack of any mechanical or electrical problems more than makes up for the extra cost. You will not be disappointed.

2 hours ago, pmanhart said:

Hey Dane,

I've owned two different sets of rudder pedals. My first set was the CH Pro Pedals, and I currently am using the Saitek Combat Pedals. I wish I never would have gotten rid of the CH pedals.

The CH Pro Pedals have a very smooth throw action for the rudder axis and both toe brakes were also very smooth. All the axes had great resolution and they never were a problem. The only thing I didn't like about them were how narrow the unit was and therefore how close the pedals were to eachother.

The Saitek Combat Pedals are more natural to keep my feet on, but the rudder axis is sticky and tends to grind no matter how well I grease them. The toe brakes don't have a very long throw but are smooth.

When the Combat Pedals are starting to break down I'll be going back to the old trusty CH's, if they are still around.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any thoughts from you or others on the Thrust Master pedals?

Regards, Dane

1 hour ago, Dane Watson said:

Very very narrow, far too narrow for realistic rudders.

I have the original Saitek rudders, when they eventually wear out I am going back to CH pedals, in fact I look forward to the day these Saitek's bite the dust.

2 hours ago, Dane Watson said:

I haven't used them, but there are a few reviews out there:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thrustmaster+flight+pedals+review&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS738US739&oq=thrustmaster+flight+pedals+review&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.9116j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The guy in the following video doesn't seem that impressed because of the narrow pedals (more so than the CH) and it looks like the base seems to move quite a bit.

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

On 4/26/2017 at 0:48 PM, Zikous82 said:

MFG Croswinds. I'm having them for about 2,5 years and they're still like a new. No software or hardware problems related. Used basicaly everyday. No maintenance needed. And even my two years old daughter can't destroy them and she likes to spill milk or juice on them very offten as she likes sitting in my home pit watching Pepa Pig. :)

Milan Z.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:31 PM, Busbar said:

Dayne

Do not hesitate to purchase the MFG Crosswinds. The quality of build and accuracy are top line. They are more expensive than the CH Pro, however the accuracy and lack of any mechanical or electrical problems more than makes up for the extra cost. You will not be disappointed.

I totally agree on MFG Crosswinds.  I never had pedals before I bought these, but they are excellent for feel, accuracy, size and durabililty.

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Stephen Forsgren

Thanks to all for comments.

In the end I did purchase the Thrustmaster pedals as they did have excellent reviews and are less costly. The only reviews that were negative was that the pedals are too close together, I figured I could live with that. Now that I have used them extensively for three days I do not agree with the pedals being to close together, I find them to be awesome and I am very happy. Very comfortable even with just socks on, easy sliding, quiet, and I have not yet found any negatives.

They may not be the best but they are great.

Regards, Dane

Glad you found some that you're happy with Dane, happy flying!

13.jpg

OK this isn't an airliner, but it's a real aeroplane with real rudder pedals really close together... Schleicher ASK21 glider.

ask21refpics_3.jpg

I think the Thrutstmaster ones would suit my setup (and hopefully my budget when I get one!) - I'm confined to a small computer desk. They'd look pretty cool underneath it.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Agree, close is good

Regards, Dane