Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Regarding XP11, a personal comment...

Everyone knows the old adage, "Old dogs, can't learn new tricks"

Right....

But, if 'Old Dogs' can, and are willing to reach beyond their comfort zone, or merely, "it's good enough for me...", then great things can happen.

My story; (typed by an Old Dog)...   I have an i7-975 Extreme CPU, (4 physical cores), and have always felt (8 cores) simulated in HyperThread Mode would HAVE to be better than my true four physical cores.  With this entrenched belief, I,  since purchasing my system in 2009, have never turned off H.T.

A few days ago, on the advice of another long-time forum member, I finally decided that this Old Dog, should 'try out' a new trick, even though it went against my personal logic of my system only seeing the real, 4 cores, versus 8 'simulated' physical cores.

Enter the BIOS, did I, and disabled H.T. Rebooted to the Desktop, entered the nVidia Control Panel, (I used the word, Mask) and enabled for both XP11.exe and XP10.exe the Threaded Optimization as a dedicated; On.

Rebooted for the heck of it...

Fired up XP11...and was simply astounded.  In any previous scenery or scenery/plane scenario, where I would have had a mean average FPS performance of 27-29,  with H.T. on, and Threaded Optimization as off, I now run 35-43 in most scenarios.  On my system (I can't speak for yours...), having only the true real cores in action, with their threads being optimized, is the premium experience.  I have lost nothing running P3D and FSX without H.T. enabled, as well.

So, whether you are a young puppy, or an old dog....think about that next trick you are willing to expend upon...for it might bring you the whole box of treats in a reward!

Cheers,

Post Edit:  Just so you know, (well at least with my system by changing something in my BIOS), if you have any planes that need your purchased serial number to allow them to run, you might have to reapply those serial numbers on the first time you fire up XP11, after having turned off, H.T. in your BIOS.  I guess one of my plane purchases parses your system for any 'hardware' change...and had me enter my serial number again. After that...no requirement from then there, on.  You might have to, you might not....just a FYI.

Ses

• Upvote 3

Very interesting Mitch, I guess this old dog is ready to try something new too, will try anything in order to squeeze out a few more fps out of my rig.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I will try also, but I do not know what the Nvidia mask is? Can you eleborate?

7 minutes ago, N1G said:

I will try also, but I do not know what the Nvidia mask is? Can you eleborate?

Certainly, the nVidia Driver Software screen/mask that you can right click from off your desktop.  You probably know the one.  Right click your Desktop, then left click the nVidia icon bar.  You are in....

Oh sure the nvidia control panel. Never heard it stated the the other way. Thanks Mitch (The master tweaker).

Bob

1 minute ago, N1G said:

Oh sure the nvidia control panel. Never heard it stated the the other way. Thanks Mitch (The master tweaker).

Bob

No Problem, Bob, and I think I will adopt from now on, calling it as you say, the nVidia Control Panel.  Cheers!

42 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

Very interesting Mitch, I guess this old dog is ready to try something new too, will try anything in order to squeeze out a few more fps out of my rig.

Carlos, I'm getting with no other changes...7-15 FPS totally across the board.  What an animation difference this is making. I'm never going back to H.T. as long as I run XP.  It's like I upgraded my CPU.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

It's like I upgraded my CPU.

..with less heat, which means I can probably OC a bit more  :biggrin:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

OK, no go for me. I had a solid 32-24 previously, now it rocks between 27 and 29. In addition, it will for some reason drop to 19 for a couple of seconds and then back. Back to the drawing board.

I am running: 6700k @4.5 16mb -- GTX1070 dual series 8gb and flying the new Eclipse 550. The test was out of KSEA. Maxed everything except reflections @MIN.

Bob

55 minutes ago, N1G said:

OK, no go for me. I had a solid 32-24 previously, now it rocks between 27 and 29. In addition, it will for some reason drop to 19 for a couple of seconds and then back. Back to the drawing board.

I am running: 6700k @4.5 16mb -- GTX1070 dual series 8gb and flying the new Eclipse 550. The test was out of KSEA. Maxed everything except reflections @MIN.

Bob

Bob, for the go or no go test, you need to have everything within XP11, set as you did, while runnint H.T. and T.O. 'off'.  Make sure that you rebooted, after all changes, and that T.O. is set to a hard, On.  If it's going to increase your FPS, in general, that should do the trick. I get the boost even with the full glass Eclipse 550.  What I mean, is that whatever I had before...this adds that 7-15 FPS above my worst and best FPS reading with this plane, with H.T. on.

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

..with less heat, which means I can probably OC a bit more  :biggrin:

Carlos, for a true A/B test...I'd leave everything as it was, XP settings and CPU overclock. If your FPS increase, then you know that this combo gave you a hard FPS boost. Then you can try to get more.  I did no other adjustments, other than H.T. off, and T.O. set to On.  Nothing else, with hardware, or with XP internal run settings.

23 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Bob, for the go or no go test, you need to have everything within XP11, set as you did, while runnint H.T. and T.O. 'off'.  Make sure that you rebooted, after all changes, and that T.O. is set to a hard, On.  If it's going to increase your FPS, in general, that should do the trick. I get the boost even with the full glass Eclipse 550.  What I mean, is that whatever I had before...this adds that 7-15 FPS above my worst and best FPS reading with this plane, with H.T. on.

Yea, I did reboot etc., so it's the old "your performance may vary". Where have I heard that before?:laugh:

21 minutes ago, N1G said:

Yea, I did reboot etc., so it's the old "your performance may vary". Where have I heard that before?:laugh:

Right, always will be...what's your hardware, what's your Windows version, what update of that version you run...yep....well, the two most important components, are my i7-975 Extreme, and my FTW GTX1070., running stock.

Gawd...am I now kicking myself. I had great XP performance in my system all along...but had a wrong CPU configuration.  Dang...all those years since 2009, and scratching my head, only thinking that H.T. was 'better' than running just your physical cores.  Oh well...now things have been corrected...

Eclipse_4.png

Eclipse_5.png

That's OK Mitch. The community is with you, so please don't take this out on yourself! We all have made mistakes. :ampun: