Sign in to follow this  
TravonNicholls

No crosswind effects

Hello everyone, I have an issue with my FSX. When operating in crosswind conditions, the crosswind only affects the aircraft when above 1000 AGL. Once below this, the aircraft straightens out itself. I use active sky2016 for my FSX weather and I just landed with a 12kt crosswind. The plane would be crabbing a little above 1000ft but than straightens out automatically although FSX shows there is still a crosswind. All my realism sliders in FSX are set to realistic and I also use FSUIPC4 free version. Can someone please help. Much appreciated.

Travon Nicholls

Hi Travon,

What aircraft type? Automatic or manual landing?

Remember that once you get above about 100-200ft AGL the wind speed will very quickly increase significantly above the surface wind (think about last time you went up a tower or stood on top of a hill and how much windier it was up top than at the bottom). Thus the wind will often slacken quite a bit as you approach touchdown. Also, most automatic landing systems will transition from a crab to a sideslip (with the nose pointing down the runway) at around 100-200ft AGL.

Other than that - are you sure it's not just a visual illusion? The crab angle may not appear that significant in the flare -- in a jet you're generally only going to be looking at a few degrees, plus any other dynamic stuff going on, and you're likely to automatically be correcting to point the nose down the runway anyway because that is what looks right.

It appears my settings got messed up. I reset the realism sliders to realistic and the problem is solved. Not sure what happened there. Thanks for your help though.

Travon Nicholls