Sign in to follow this  
gufau

7,3 beta available

Thanks. I'm going to try that route tonight and report back.

5 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

So, instead of ENSG, I decided to fly IFR from LIPB Bolzano to Innsbruck at 14k feet in the Lancair with one waypoint to the West of LOWI.  VOX did fine until about 40 miles out from LOWI when I requested a decent for arrival.  VOX hung on that two times, and I turned it off and on twice . On the third try VOX started working again and after I requested the decent, it took me down to 13k.  Then I selected the RWY coming from the west going east (RWY  8).  VOX vectored me down to 12k about 10 miles out from LOWI and circled me to the north and then west, then south and finally east without sending me into any mountains.  However I was directed to descend from 12k to 5k at 10 miles out from the airport and then given visual clearance for RWY 08 from 5k.  Had to descend at 3k per minute or more to get there.

This was an extreme test and VOX did not vector me into any mountains and instead took me around the mountains and into the valley west of LOWI.  Other than hanging twice and making a very steep descent on approach I think under these tough circumstances VOX did fine.

Sorry, I couldn't get that to work, Once told by Milan to contact LOWI tower, I got a "Roger", but then  I got the text  to fly headings, speeds and altitudes and nothing more was heard from the Tower. I tried enabling and disabling a number of times with the same result.

I wonder what VOX is using off the internet to inject terrain height info into the program?    If we could get an answer, then maybe we'd have some insight on how to help out beta testing.  Going to post the gist of my comments above on the VOX contact page.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

14 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

I wonder what VOX is using off the internet to inject terrain height info into the program?    If we could get an answer, then maybe we'd have some insight on how to help out beta testing.  Going to post the gist of my comments above on the VOX contact page.

I was wondering  about that also. The VOXATC Indexer also needs Internet  access and I can't decide  why that does that either. Maybe it's more for debugging  purposes. The apps may phone  home with information that the developer  uses to make improvements.

As to the Bolzano (ORBX freeware) to LOWI (ORBX payware) test flight I finally got that to work and the 7.3 beta did indeed keep revising heading and altitude requests to avoid terrain.  I did get one fatal error message enroute  though.

Well, on further review, the terrain avoidance feature is not working all the time for me in the P3d version 7.3. I checked the log file (err.log) and sure enough there are error messages regarding the terrain functions. Either my firewall was blocking something (checked and doesn't look like that is happening for ATCServer.exe) or whatever external server computer that is needed was down.