Hello all,

I'm trying to come up with a solution for my ever expanding collection of flight sim add-ons, scenery, aircraft, etc.  I recently started flying in X-Plane as well as Prepar3d.  My love of Orthro4XP has really put a bottle neck on the available space I have available on my present SSD.  I was thinking of using a SSD for each simulator.  I currently have a SDD as my main hard drive, it has my Windows 10 install along with all games.  I also have a regular HDD that I use for storage only.  My question is, would I still see the better loading benefits if I changed my storage HDD to be my Windows 10 and other games hard drive, then used one SSD for X-Plane and another SSD for Prepar3d.  I know my windows boot time would increase but I'm not really worried about that.  Are there any cons to doing it this way?

Thanks,

Dan

Daniel

6 hours ago, dtm211 said:

I know my windows boot time would increase but I'm not really worried about that.

I wanted the SSD from my old build to use in my new build so swapped it for a new HDD. It's not just the boot times that have increased (significantly) on my old system, Windows generally just seems so sluggish. If I used my old system more than just occasionally, I would definitely replace the HDD with a new SSD. SSD prices are falling all the time, especially for the 500GB-sized drives, so if you can afford it just buy another SSD for X-Plane.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I use OS and P3D on one SSD. (This makes it easy to backup as all addons etc. are registered in Windows as well).

On the 2nd SSD I have XP. The tiles and the Ortho4xp program sit on an external USB 3.0 drive with links into the custom scenery folder. 

Like that I can easily expand my tiles collection. Disadvantage: When reloading XP stutters for a moment and FPS go down. That being said I noticed the same when the custom scenery folder sits on the SSD as well, maybe a bit less drop in FPS or during a shorter time, but still noticeable.

Regards, Perry