Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Belgium 2012 free photoscenery

Thank you Stephen for evaluating the stuff about torrent links. I am delighted about this decision.

I hope that Gerard still allows us to share his work via torrent. If so, I could prepare a torrent and seed from my server. Just a small server behind an asymmetric DSL line with limited upstream, but the server is up 24/7. At least we won't "loose" the files every 30 days or so.

Martin Renner

No problem with sharing the scenery via torrent.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Ok, with the permission of Gerard (and the post from the Avsim staff, that torrent links are no longer disallowed):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/105696224/Belgium%202012.torrent

You will get exactly those three files that Gerard announced in post #218.

My server is up 24/7, but on a slow asymmetric DSL connection. Would be nice if others would seed after having downloaded the files.

• Upvote 2

Martin Renner

Thanks Martin. I'm pulling down now and will seed it after.

- Aaron

Here is our new ToS term that resulted from this topic and our staff discussions:

"Links to Torrents: Adding links to legitimate files served up by torrents is an acceptable practice within posts in the forums. However, we caution all readers to use caution when using torrent links found within our forums or elsewhere for that matter. Links to pirate sites, pirate files or other "warez" will result in immediate banning. Members are urged to report pirated files, pirate site links, etc. to AVSIM staff as soon as possible."

Thanks, Tom. Makes sense and clears up the confusion. As one can see, the folks are already on it, so that nice freeware can be spread.

Thanks, Tom. Makes sense and clears up the confusion. As one can see, the folks are already on it, so that nice freeware can be spread.

If the author could reduce those file sizes to ~ 500 MB, we could host them at AVSIM's library.

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks for the HU. Maybe it's a tip for Gerard for the next release or even this one.

Did you raise that file size lately? I recall some current freeware from Anthony (hosted at Avsim) being in need for a 'cut', but it was lower than 500mb. 250 I think.

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks for the HU. Maybe it's a tip for Gerard for the next release or even this one.

Did you raise that file size lately? I recall some current freeware from Anthony (hosted at Avsim) being in need for a 'cut', but it was lower than 500mb. 250 I think.

Yes, we raised it as of last night.

You are more right than I was. In principle a torrent link will be judged by the content, so we withdraw our blanket disallowance. Go ahead.

Here is our new ToS term that resulted from this topic and our staff discussions:

This is great news. Thank you kindly, gentlemen.

You will get exactly those three files that Gerard announced in post #218.

Thanks very much, Martin. I'm taking your torrent and will help seed for a long time!

:lol:

You may well get a laugh out of that, but it was not an easily achieved decision. You see, by upping that limit to 500 MEGS, we effectively locked ourselves into an expensive upgrade of hardware and Network Accessible Storage. We recently requested and received a quote for upgraded servers and 30 terabytes of storage, and the number was over $40,000 if I recall correctly. We are not going to do that, and at our Board meeting next month we will discuss lower cost alternative solutions. But, by increasing our upload size, we are also committing to spend money to be able to accomodate those larger file sizes in the longer term (amount TBD - but any solution is going to be expensive compared to your home PC's cost).

Looking how big the FSX stuff grew over the FS9 sceneries, there's no surprise that the hosting costs went up. Over 4 gigabytes for 'just' Belgium is a lot. We should be happy that no FSXI even adds some more on the max texture sizes. ^_^

I think the step up to allow 500mb parts is most appreciated, Tom. Me also thinks he's laughing in a positive way about the time context of that now larger file size.

By the way, would that torrent system be a solution for Avsim too? The peer-to-peer architecture gets rid of some storage needs. Stretching the thread topic a bit, I know.

Tom. Me also thinks he's laughing in a positive way about the time context of that now larger file size.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't offended by the laugh or being defensive. I just took that as an opportunity to explain that this wasn't just a knee jerk reaction, but one that has been thought out and under consideration for awhile. This topic forced the discussion about increased file sizes, but more importantly, the NAS to provide for them that would have otherwise taken place at our BOD meeting next month.

By the way, would that torrent system be a solution for Avsim too? The peer-to-peer architecture gets rid of some storage needs. Stretching the thread topic a bit, I know.

I am sure that we could put it to use. The how, management, control, etc. need to be ruminated over and discussed amongst us (staff and community).

Ok, I've obviously misinterpreted your answer on the laughing smiley then. :blush:

On the peer-to-peer stuff, it's nice that it gets looked at. I wouldn't have a problem seeding the freeware I've downloaded when my PC is up and running. And I think quite some folks could devote some space on their HDD and some bandwidth to allow for that.

The famous examples like Blizzard spreading patches and things surely show the potential and use this concept offers. Well, lets see what the future holds. :smile: