Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Belgium 2012 free photoscenery

Doesn't peer to peer make it incredibly easy to share whatever is installed in your FSX folder, including any payware?

I am thankful for the new upload quota also, but i am also leery of the torrent link system as it has been proven time and time again that is is the most effective way to share illegal content.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Michael, I don't think that's how it works. Peer-to-peer just means that folks don't download from a central server. Instead, they act as a server and client at the same time and, of course, they have control over what they share.

And that's the point as Stephen stressed before. The contents make up the legal or illegal nature, not the method. You can drive along a road to help an old lady around her house or you can drive the same road, the same car and visit the same old lady and steal her money.

The Wikipedia article helps a lot. Note that animation about how the stuff is shared. Also note the section giving examples about how the companies make use of peer-to-peer methods. http://en.wikipedia....wiki/BitTorrent

Torrentcomp_small.gif

The colours define the different parts of the one file. Six colours in this example, means six parts.

That big PC in the picture is the initial seeder. The guy who feeds the system with his data. In our thread, this could be Gerard or some user acting with his approval. At the beginning, he is the only one having all the parts. See his colour bar, it's always full. Later, the clients can do his job as they get filled up with colours, means all parts.

With a peer-to-peer setup, you wouldn't download from the Avsim server. Instead, you would look up the description of the file you are looking for (lets say, some freeware for the US) and then feed the system with that unique description.

The system would then return possible download sources. One user has part 1,3 and 6, some others have 2, 4 and 5. All of them then send the data to you while you send the already available parts to others. Your client solves the puzzle on the parts and gives you one large part of what you wanted and the only big traffic and bandwidth consumed happens among the clients.

By this, you spread relatively fast and stable since you don't need certain servers, just a bunch of clients acting as such. If one goes offline, you wait or pick another one.

Remember the Avsim library hack? One system (or small cluster) storing the data and if this one system is down, no download option is available. With the peer-to-peer setup, this isn't a big problem as long as a single user has the data and is connected. This will then feed the data into the system again.

Indeed it isn't the method of distribution that can be at fault, it's the content being distributed that deserves scrutiny. You can't avoid mechanisms that on their own are harmless just because there are folks that choose to do illegal things with it. Just as CoolP's car analogy would indicate. You can use a car to drive back and forth to work or provide transportation to the sick and elderly, or you can race around and mow people down with it. You can't outlaw cars because there are some who choose to do the latter.

Thanks Cool? Mr. P?.... CoolP, for the clarification that was needed here, it's obviously proven to be helpful. And thanks to the Avsim staff for listening.

- Aaron

Thank you AvSim. Now I can finally enjoy this in a timely manner. I was afraid it was going to take me until the new year to get this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael, I don't think that's how it works. Peer-to-peer just means that folks don't download from a central server. Instead, they act as a server and client at the same time and, of course, they have control over what they share.

Exactly, so bascially we are trusting the user to control what directory and files are being shared and they decide what is legal and what is not, yeah, we see how well that has worked on the internet, LOL. Sorry, I see people being dishonest more than not so I question anything that helps them be that way and lords knows there are tons of examples on the web of users using this very system to be very dishonest..

Best, Michael

KDFW

Michael, you are the one in control about what to share. What's the news on that aspect? :mellow: You are also in control of your car, your phone and the knifes in the kitchen.

I've tried to explain the technical aspect of the peer-to-peer system, giving an edge over server based setups in some scenarios. But my impression is that you relate the sheer ability to share data to something bad. If that's the case, unplug now! ^_^

Seriously, I think we've shown that, as the new Avsim TOS state too, the contents of the data define the nature of the sharing process. Post some freeware and folks are happy, post some payware and live with the consequences.

Perhaps we can leave it like that and just be happy that folks like Gerard offer their software for free. :smile:

"we effectively locked ourselves into an expensive upgrade of hardware and Network Accessible Storage. We recently requested and received a quote for upgraded servers and 30 terabytes of storage"

Sound like time for a donation whipround from the user collective.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

You may well get a laugh out of that, but it was not an easily achieved decision. You see, by upping that limit to 500 MEGS, we effectively locked ourselves into an expensive upgrade of hardware and Network Accessible Storage. We recently requested and received a quote for upgraded servers and 30 terabytes of storage, and the number was over $40,000 if I recall correctly. We are not going to do that, and at our Board meeting next month we will discuss lower cost alternative solutions. But, by increasing our upload size, we are also committing to spend money to be able to accomodate those larger file sizes in the longer term (amount TBD - but any solution is going to be expensive compared to your home PC's cost).

What a smile cannot accomplish... :/

Hello Tom,

I was just reading the last replies of the topic and at 1AM I found the replies amusing. Thanks for explaining us what it means to increase the filesize.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Sound like time for a donation whipround from the user collective.

We're not at that point yet, but thanks for the thought.

Exactly, so bascially we are trusting the user to control what directory and files are being shared [...]

Michael, with BitTorrent you don't share a whole folder (like for example with eDonkey or eMule). There is a .torrent file that describes exactly the content (including file names and hash values) of this specific torrent. So if someone decides to share something via BitTorrent, you will get exactly this specific bundle of files. If you extract them into your FSX folder, you cannot participate any longer in seeding these unpacked files. You just can seed the original files. But this is not the right forum to discuss details of peer to peer networks.

@Tom and Avsim stuff:

Yes, we raised it as of last night.

:good:

I am responsible for a blade center with a SAN and I know that increasing the storage size is not like going to the next store any buying a cheap multi TB disk. And right after having increased (or better: before) the storage size, you have to spend the same amount for a bigger backup solution. So I really respect your decision.

Martin Renner

Guest uenue

Hi Gerard,

I've already posted this question some days ago (#199), but then the "torrent discussion" came along and shifted attention to that specific topic.

I hope that through that decision ("distribution via torrent") now even more user come into the enjoyment of your great scenery B)

My question relates more to the content:

Thanks for your reply concerning my first "Autogen Question" (#197), but I think, that there are still some points unanswered:

1) the last (?) version of "Belgium 2012 Photo" which I've downloaded contains 1.499 file of autogen in the 'texture' folder

2) exactly the same number of autogen files could be found in the AVSIM archive (Belgium 2012 Trees by Aime Leclercq and Gerard Salden, AVSIM-ID: 170244)

So, I guess that these archive and the content of the "last version" of "Belgium 2012 Photo" are the same ?! I'm right ?

3) In the AVSIM archive BELGIUM Autogen buildings and vegetation of Dominique Dziedziczak (AVSIM-ID: 170455) you will find more than 19.432 autogen files (!!).

4) In the AVSIM archive Belgium, The West Flanders - autogen V1 of Dominique Dziedziczak (AVSIM-ID: 169246) you will find another 2.181 autogen files (!!).

My questions:

a.) is this stuff fitting for your fine scenery ?

b.) is this stuff additional to "your" included autogen ?

c.) or, if a.) and b.) were 'negative', what the hell is that stuff for ??? :blink:

Thank you in advance for your answer :rolleyes:

Regards

uenue

p.s I want to emphasize again, what kind of marvellous job you did with this fine scenery im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Hi Gerard

I try it once again regarding the grey areas along the German border (# 193).

I have only the default scenery for Germany installed. I don't know, if with VFR Germany the grey areas are also existing.

Unfortunately I can't upload pictures, because I don't know, how to practice.

Best regards, Heinz

Hello,

wonderful scenery, thank you very much to G.Salden.

I found the little lost surface area near the border to netherland (not the grey areas) which ist mentioned here by some other too. Is there still any solution for this problem. I found it also in the last download.

Thanks for a reply.

Hi Gerard

I try it once again regarding the grey areas along the German border (# 193).

I have only the default scenery for Germany installed. I don't know, if with VFR Germany the grey areas are also existing.

Unfortunately I can't upload pictures, because I don't know, how to practice.

Best regards, Heinz

Let me check these coming days.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

hello Gerard, hello Heinz,

with VFR Germany I cannot see the grey areas, without I can see them too.

Any solution concerning the rectangle without photo texture near the border to netherland?

regards

Thomas