Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Alaskan Meanderings in P3D

I have been spending a lot of time in Orbx Alaska.  P3D, superbly enhanced with Orbx World scenery, along with AS16+ASCA and PTA has kept me enchanted, whilst the thermometer outside continues its inexorable climb. 
Here are a few photos I wanted to share….

First, the descent into Fairbanks, which started at 30DME from Nenana.  The Nenana River is just ahead, with the cloud deck just above.  A slow series of 1-2 minute 1”MAP reductions has me finally at 30” MAP and 2000RPM with airspeed controlled at 210 and a gentle 3-400FPM descent underway.  The cowls are tightly shuttered and the CHTs are hovering at a comfortable 185-190.  I have just switched back to the mains, to ready for landing, and soon the mixture will go to Auto Rich (after unlocking).  Never before have I spent so much time fretting over the TOD.  My Boeings make predictable descent decently accomplished.  This Douglas forces a Doctoral thesis in descent planning!  You won't want to mess this up- radial overhauls are frightfully expensive!

tKqL3J8.jpg

Next we see my view of Wild Alaska, crossing the Westfork River, in the heart of Denali.  This Flight Planning business at 10,000 feet leads to very interesting soul-searching conversations with ones self when in hard IMC.  The seemingly innocuous phrase, used by the NTSB- “Controlled flight into terrain” seems to rattle around in my empty head, while I sip my Darjeeling, and adjust the heaters, just so.  The content of Kershner volumes and John & Martha King videos occupy much of my mind wandering time.  If you look at the photo above, the GPS400 is out of my sightline in normal forward view, and I chose that option specifically because I wanted to force raw-data work.  I had bags of fun 10 or so years ago, terrorizing London Control in Rick Piper's HS-748 in FS98 days.  Flying the Wobun2F on raw data was fantastic!  Not since then, have I had to rely on the ND in my head.  "Losing the picture", another seemingly innocuous phrase- until it happens on a dark stormy night, in mountainous terrain.

EHtC34x.jpg

Next, a turn onto final at Gustavus.  It’s straight out of Sister’s Island with DME step-downs, but having broken out of the clouds at 2000, I eased left for a right downwind, and cranked hard over to intercept final.  It was a typical Alaskan April day, and I knew it would be lovely to see.

ENe5m6q.jpg

Finally, the wing with 30"MAP in reverse, to turn off for fuel at Everts in Fairbanks. The process of squishing on to asphalt, waiting for her to stop flying, even whilst the Goodyear's are spinning, and then selecting reverse with a tractor bar and a THUNK, easing MAP up to a max of 30" and watching the gentle deceleration to a walk is quite magical.

rvgUcX3.jpg

My heart will always belong to the 744, but for the past few weeks, this Long Beach Lady has kept my attention.  I hope she has yours...

Click on each photo to see it in full 4K.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl,

Excellent, I like the view from the cockpit, have made this approach a thousand times in real life. Now I make it in the 47, or 37.

Views from the outside don't do a lot for me as I can't step outside in flight.

Jerry Friz

Glad you liked it Jerry.  There is SO MUCH different in this one that I am digging through the POH much more than usual.... it is always good to learn new things.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

What are you man, an advertisement for the DC6?  Great post!

Cheers,

Oh My....all those analog gauges....I love it!   I'd be proud to master this aircraft, and hope to do so one day.  So much more to do here than watching the FMC count down to the next waypoint.

Mark Trainer