Sign in to follow this  
d33my

One throttle axis – multiple assignments?

Hi all,

I use a Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick. It has one throttle slider/axis. I am wondering if there is any way that I could have that one axis be responsible for throttle, mixture and prop.

Eg, when wanting to change throttle, use the slider as normal. When wanting to change mixture, press a key (or press and hold) and then move the slider; eg shift+slider = mixture. And then ctrl+slider=prop.

I don't think this is possible in default FSX control settings. Is this something FSUIPC could do? It may well be that it is impossible, but I'd be interested to know.

Thanks.

I could certainly use that feature as well  - if possible...

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

I think what your wanting would require a LUA.  But honestly it would have a horrid application. Normal operation of an aircraft requires smooth application of the lever your trying to move.  If you click a button say on approach to push the props up (throttle close to idle) then your initially pulling the props all the way back then pushing them up to max.  Now when you swap back to throttle your at the max power setting.  Even if it's momentary that's all it would take to throw off your aim spot and screw up your energy management. 

Honestly the best solution would be to assign a button thru FSUIPC. You might even find a way to make its application smoother.  I honestly never bothered with mixture in FS.  Never get the same as the real plane so I didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

25 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

I think what your wanting would require a LUA.  But honestly it would have a horrid application. Normal operation of an aircraft requires smooth application of the lever your trying to move.  If you click a button say on approach to push the props up (throttle close to idle) then your initially pulling the props all the way back then pushing them up to max.  Now when you swap back to throttle your at the max power setting.  Even if it's momentary that's all it would take to throw off your aim spot and screw up your energy management. 

Honestly the best solution would be to assign a button thru FSUIPC. You might even find a way to make its application smoother.  I honestly never bothered with mixture in FS.  Never get the same as the real plane so I didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Thanks for your reply. The first part of your post certainly occurred to me - it is not a perfect solution by any means. In fact it has the potential to be way more frustrating than helpful. I guess I was interested to test it out and see how it performed in the sim, and whether it was more palatable than my current setup, which is using buttons/keys.

It's a good point about the mixture in FS, although I primarily fly A2A planes and their engine modelling is such that I find trying to use the mixture 'by the book' is quite rewarding.

Have had the pleasure with A2A.  But I also mean you can almost feel the engine starting to run rough when you are leaning it (Non-EGT gage aircraft.  I just never developed a taste for it in sim.  Have you looked into getting a desk mounted Saitek throttle system?  So much can be done with them.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

11 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Have had the pleasure with A2A.  But I also mean you can almost feel the engine starting to run rough when you are leaning it (Non-EGT gage aircraft.  I just never developed a taste for it in sim.  Have you looked into getting a desk mounted Saitek throttle system?  So much can be done with them.

Yes I think that's probably the best solution. I don't have a lot of desk space/inclination for added peripherals but that would be the best user experience.

14 hours ago, d33my said:

Yes I think that's probably the best solution. I don't have a lot of desk space/inclination for added peripherals but that would be the best user experience.

http://joytokey.net/en/advanced

You could try looking into that of course.  I see how you can switch button assignments on the fly.  I didn't read enough to know if it did the same to an axis.  But I think I saw an axis section.

beta.gif   

My Liveries

5 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

http://joytokey.net/en/advanced

You could try looking into that of course.  I see how you can switch button assignments on the fly.  I didn't read enough to know if it did the same to an axis.  But I think I saw an axis section.

Thanks, I'll check it out.