Sign in to follow this  
pic400

PMDG 747-400 V3

In my opinion, after using W10 for a year, W7 is much better OS because it simply works and is not intrusive.  I'll stick with W10 on all my new builds but I'm not upgrading my W7 box.  W10 keeps throwing me curves, like last week all my document disappeared and I had to kill their intrusive OneDrive and restore my files from a previous save.  This was hard to find because I never use OneDrive, didn't know what it was, and now that I know I don't want it but you can't delete it from W10. Just typing this is getting me angry again so there's my two cents.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 minutes ago, downscc said:

In my opinion, after using W10 for a year, W7 is much better OS because it simply works and is not intrusive.  I'll stick with W10 on all my new builds but I'm not upgrading my W7 box.  W10 keeps throwing me curves, like last week all my document disappeared and I had to kill their intrusive OneDrive and restore my files from a previous save.  This was hard to find because I never use OneDrive, didn't know what it was, and now that I know I don't want it but you can't delete it from W10. Just typing this is getting me angry again so there's my two cents.

If I had the option, I wouldn't be using Windows 10. Unfortunately, buying a new laptop end of 2015 didn't really give me that option. I had actually tried to install Windows 7, but that attempt failed miserably, and after multiple attempts, I finally gave up. I still have the hard drive that has it (I bought it, so if anything went wrong, I'd still have the original hard drive that came with the laptop), but the problem is it isn't recognizing any of the drivers, so I can't do anything with it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

6 hours ago, downscc said:

Dan, there's a nifty little tool you can find via Google: 'Hide One-Drive from Windows Explorer' which should calm you down a bit 😀

6 hours ago, downscc said:

This was hard to find because I never use OneDrive, didn't know what it was, and now that I know I don't want it but you can't delete it from W10.

Stupid question, but what's preventing you from deleting it. I seem to have managed to do so just fine.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

16 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Stupid question, but what's preventing you from deleting it. I seem to have managed to do so just fine.

You can delete the MicrosoftOneDrive from the control panel programs list, which I did as soon as I suspected it of my problems, but it still shows up in the path for all documents.  For example, C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents. PITA.

There is a registry hack to remove it from Explorer but I don't know the outcome, do I lose \Documents?

I discovered this because a couple of days ago both FSX and P3D had "forgotten" what flights/scenarios I had flagged as favorites. Gone.  Turned out something changed the path for my documents so everything that points to documents, like the simulators, were no longer pointing to my documents but a new OneDrive folder. I had to restore those files from a backup, and then I started googling OneDrive.  As far as I can tell, Microsoft wants us to store all our stuff on their servers.... yeah, right. Like that is going to happen.

Still resenting this.

Dan Downs KCRP

20 minutes ago, downscc said:

You can delete the MicrosoftOneDrive from the control panel programs list, which I did as soon as I suspected it of my problems, but it still shows up in the path for all documents.  For example, C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents. PITA.

There is a registry hack to remove it from Explorer but I don't know the outcome, do I lose \Documents?

I discovered this because a couple of days ago both FSX and P3D had "forgotten" what flights/scenarios I had flagged as favorites. Gone.  Turned out something changed the path for my documents so everything that points to documents, like the simulators, were no longer pointing to my documents but a new OneDrive folder. I had to restore those files from a backup, and then I started googling OneDrive.  As far as I can tell, Microsoft wants us to store all our stuff on their servers.... yeah, right. Like that is going to happen.

Still resenting this.

Copy. I just ended up deleting it, as there was nothing in it. My documents folder is still there as far as I can tell. Looks like the OneDrive in Explorer is just a shortcut to that OneDrive folder. I keep clicking on it, and it's saying it can't find the OneDrive folder. Rightfully so since I deleted it.

From what I read, that registry hack doesn't actually delete OneDrive, it just hides that shortcut from Explorer.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg