Sign in to follow this  
Doug Pelton

Panel State Load: Engines don't advance

56 minutes ago, downscc said:

We seem to have a couple of topics going here, please excuse me if I has a stupid question.  Okay, that might be a good ground idle FF so we know the engines are running, and not just spooled up and motoring.  Now when you say they don't advance, does this mean you cannot increase thrust by moving your throttles given the conditions you provide in your first post?  When the condition exists where you cannot increase thrust, do the throttles in the VC cockpit move when you move your throttle controller?  Does N1 change at all? What about the F3 key incremental increase throttle key, does that increase thrust?  Trying to get the whole picture since I'm not looking over your shoulder.

---Throttle does increase thrust

----Throttles in VC mode advance

---N1 does not change

---F3 does not provide increase in thrust---Key is properly assigned.

Thanks for drilling down on this

Doug

33 minutes ago, Doug Pelton said:

---N1 does not change

Now I'm confused.  What is telling you that the throttle increases thrust if N1 does not change?  When you say "throttle does increase thrust" and "throttles in VC mode advance," do you mean the throttle levers as they appear in the VC? 

Regarding the F3 key, is it assigned in both FSX controls and perhaps to something different in PMDG control settings?  Are you using FSUIPC, and if so, are F3 or the joystick throttle levers assigned through it?

What happens if you don't start from a saved panel state, but just start FSX, from the startup screen showing the Trike you select a 737 NGX, load it at the gate of any airport?  What is the default startup state showing on the PMDG CDU?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Ditto Mike...., N1 is the primary indication of thrust. What is your definition of thrust?

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

We seem to have a couple of topics going here, please excuse me if I has a stupid question.  Okay, that might be a good ground idle FF so we know the engines are running, and not just spooled up and motoring.  Now when you say they don't advance, does this mean you cannot increase thrust by moving your throttles given the conditions you provide in your first post?  When the condition exists where you cannot increase thrust, do the throttles in the VC cockpit move when you move your throttle controller?  Does N1 change at all? What about the F3 key incremental increase throttle key, does that increase thrust?  Trying to get the whole picture since I'm not looking over your shoulder.

---N1 does not change

---F3 does not provide increase in thrust---Key is properly assigned.

Thanks for drilling down on this

Doug

31 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Now I'm confused.  What is telling you that the throttle increases thrust if N1 does not change?  When you say "throttle does increase thrust" and "throttles in VC mode advance," do you mean the throttle levers as they appear in the VC? 

Regarding the F3 key, is it assigned in both FSX controls and perhaps to something different in PMDG control settings?  Are you using FSUIPC, and if so, are F3 or the joystick throttle levers assigned through it?

What happens if you don't start from a saved panel state, but just start FSX, from the startup screen showing the Trike you select a 737 NGX, load it at the gate of any airport?  What is the default startup state showing on the PMDG CDU?

Mike

--N1 does not change when i advance my Thrustmaster(calibrated)

---VC thottles do advance via Thrustmaster.

----F3 does advance the VC throttles with no increase in N1

No key assignments in my FSUIPC. No alternate F3 assignment on Thrustmaster.

----Opened the Trike, then to PMDG 737 livery and then to my airport. Start up without loading a Panel state but same problem.

----Default startup on the PMDG CDU:  NGX Short

Thanks Mike

Doug Pelton

1 hour ago, Doug Pelton said:

--N1 does not change when i advance my Thrustmaster(calibrated)

---VC thottles do advance via Thrustmaster.

----F3 does advance the VC throttles with no increase in N1

No key assignments in my FSUIPC. No alternate F3 assignment on Thrustmaster.

----Opened the Trike, then to PMDG 737 livery and then to my airport. Start up without loading a Panel state but same problem.

----Default startup on the PMDG CDU:  NGX Short

Thanks Mike

Doug Pelton

Voila!! Working. 

I came back to the sim an hour after my last reply to Mike (above) and hit F3: VC throttles advanced as di N1. Same result when using my Thrustmaster.

Doug

Edited by Doug Pelton

36 minutes ago, Doug Pelton said:

Voila!! Working. 

I came back to the sim an hour after my last reply to Mike (above) and hit F3: VC throttles advanced as di N1. Same result when using my Thrustmaster.

Doug

Too bad we couldn't find the problem before it escaped.

I recommend you do not open or load the Trike then the PMDG NGX.  Start from Free Flight with only your default non-PMDG aircraft showing in the little turning preview window, from there select NGX or a saved flight.  This is also discussed in the Introduction document.

Dan Downs KCRP

22 minutes ago, downscc said:

Too bad we couldn't find the problem before it escaped.

I recommend you do not open or load the Trike then the PMDG NGX.  Start from Free Flight with only your default non-PMDG aircraft showing in the little turning preview window, from there select NGX or a saved flight.  This is also discussed in the Introduction document.

Solution short-lived: back to same problem.

I'll follow your suggested startup.

Thanks, Dan, and all who have weighed-in.

Doug Pelton

3 hours ago, Doug Pelton said:

Solution short-lived: back to same problem.

I'll follow your suggested startup.

Thanks, Dan, and all who have weighed-in.

Doug Pelton

Success!

Dan, the sequence of FSX/PMDG and default flight like you noted may have done the trick. But will test again. The N1 increase didn't happen for about 15 min----I used F3 to move VC thttle to full; left the room and came back and N1 was up, as was EGT (90 +). 

I'll get to this again and will post results.

Doug pelton

1 hour ago, Doug Pelton said:

Success!

Dan, the sequence of FSX/PMDG and default flight like you noted may have done the trick. But will test again. The N1 increase didn't happen for about 15 min----I used F3 to move VC thttle to full; left the room and came back and N1 was up, as was EGT (90 +). 

I'll get to this again and will post results.

Doug pelton

Tested again: The problem, I think, has been with the APU after engine startup. I follow the flow as per the manual to shut down the APU , but it doesn't respond to 'shut off' instantaneously. There is a delay, and once the APU shuts down (bleed and packs have been set per manual) then the N1 advances!

Don't know why the delay in shutting down APU, but will focus on that flow next time I start up.

Doug Pelton

The APU has a normal cool down period, it's normal.  However, it is possible to take off in the B737 with APU running and providing air to the packs so there should not be any reason for APU inhibiting throttle response.  Is it possible that you are switching views causing FSX to freeze the VC displays?  This is a known FSXism.

Dan Downs KCRP

19 hours ago, downscc said:

The APU has a normal cool down period, it's normal.  However, it is possible to take off in the B737 with APU running and providing air to the packs so there should not be any reason for APU inhibiting throttle response.  Is it possible that you are switching views causing FSX to freeze the VC displays?  This is a known FSXism.

Dan, using AivlaSoft/SimpleCam, so I have pre-set views in SimpleCam actuated by the numerical pad. It is odd about the delay. I may uninstall SimpleCam to test it again, but can't get to it for a couple weeks out.

I also re-read Introduction manual regarding default startup---I had been using PMDG as default, but no longer. Good news is, yes, N1 advances now after the mysterious delay..."I'll take it" for now:)  Thanks so much.

Doug

4 minutes ago, Doug Pelton said:

I also re-read Introduction manual regarding default startup---I had been using PMDG as default, but no longer. Good news is, yes, N1 advances now after the mysterious delay..."I'll take it" for now:)  Thanks so much.

That's why Dan said, "Start from Free Flight with only your default non-PMDG aircraft showing in the little turning preview window," and I said, "What happens if you don't start from a saved panel state, but just start FSX, from the startup screen showing the Trike you select a 737 NGX?"

As for the delay, it's usually a good idea to suspect an addon when something otherwise inexplicable happens.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

2 hours ago, Mike777 said:

That's why Dan said, "Start from Free Flight with only your default non-PMDG aircraft showing in the little turning preview window," and I said, "What happens if you don't start from a saved panel state, but just start FSX, from the startup screen showing the Trike you select a 737 NGX?"

As for the delay, it's usually a good idea to suspect an addon when something otherwise inexplicable happens.

Mike

Mike, I start now from FSX with non-PMDG in spinning window---a 747 OR Tryke. Then, I select PMDG 737-800. Yes, thinking the delayed APU shutdown due to SimpleCam----love this app, though. 

Doug

6 minutes ago, Doug Pelton said:

Mike, I start now from FSX with non-PMDG in spinning window---a 747 OR Tryke. Then, I select PMDG 737-800. Yes, thinking the delayed APU shutdown due to SimpleCam----love this app, though. 

Doug

Are you still getting the delayed engine response to the throttles?  A delayed shutdown of the APU I think you can live with, but the delayed throttle response not so much.

I'm not familiar with SimpleCam, but there other ways to navigate around the VC.  For example holding down the space bar and using the mouse. 

I would urge you to just go back to making a flight at an unmodified airport with the Trike or a Microsoft-supplied Cessna your default startup flight.  Set up that flight situation, save it, and then make that your default flight by choosing Load Flight, highlighting the flight you just saved, and clicking on the box at the bottom of the screen "Make this the Default Flight." The default 747 at startup may work OK, but the Trike and Cessna are known to set up FSX correctly for PMDG aircraft.  As Dan said, you don't want to actually load the default startup flight; you just want to see the Trike or Cessna spinning in the opening window.  With this setup you won't have to select a default FSX aircraft at startup.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2